How to exclude a file extension in a folder + all subfolders

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by stefancpt, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stefancpt

stefancpt Registered Member

Hi there

I would like to exclude one specific file extension (e.g. .log) from being scanned in 1 particular folder + all subfolders in that folder.

C:\Folder\*.log excludes all .log files, but this does not apply to any subfolders in this folder. C:\Folder\* excludes all files in this folder and all subfolders, but I only want to exclude .log files.

How can this be done? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Stefan

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi Stefan,
    perhaps you could exclude the log extension generally as log files do not carry malicious code.

3. stefancpt

Thanks for your prompt reply. That would of course be an option, but what if I would like to exclude certain .exe files in a folder+subfolders. It would be too dangerous to exclude this extension in general. Can this be accomplished with NOD32 4.2.76.0?

4. Marcos

You can only exclude file(s) in a specific folder and its subfolders. As for extensions of scanned/excluded files, they are applied generally to all disks and files.

5. stefancpt

OK, thanks for making that clear.

6. Reedmikel

Reedmikel Registered Member

Marcos - isn't that what Stefancpt originally asked? Are you saying that one can exclude all .log files in a specified folder and all subfolders?

7. Marcos

I said:
    Excluding an extension from scanning will be applied generally to all files, regardless on what disk or in which folder they are located.

8. Reedmikel

Reedmikel Registered Member

Hmmm, I still do not understand what you are saying Marcos.

Maybe we can work with specific policy setting to get a better understanding. I am new to ESET NOD32, so please bear with me. The fact that almost none of the policy settings are documented makes it rather difficult for newbies to understand how this product works o_O

In NOD32 4.2 Bus Ed, if I look at policy settings thru ERAC, I see Extension->Extension Setup listed under multiple headings (e.g. Scanner(On-demand scanner), Scanner(File-system filter), Scanner(Document protection) etc.). If I click on the [Edit] button I see a list of any extensions that have been previously added. The default from ESET seems to be empty, except for Document protection, which excludes DBF,MDB,OST and PST).

I was going to ask what happens if one clicks on [Add] and enters a drive and or folder, plus the extension? BUT, I see the "Extension:" field has a limit of 10 chars. That tells me we are only supposed to enter an extension (no path). I guess that confirms what you said - that any extensions you exclude are GLOBAL (all drives, all folders), right?

As far as entering extensions, are we supposed to enter the period character (eg .LOG)? It does allow me to enter the period, but I tend to think that might be wrong. Again, none of this is documented, so newbies have to guess o_O

9. stefancpt

If I open a blank configuration (in ESET Configuration Editor) and go to the various extension settings you mentioned, the "Scan all files" checkbox is always ticked. That's the default as far as I know.

Yes.

If you untick the "Scan all files" checkbox, you are able to see how ESET added some extensions. All of them are without the ".". Just add "LOG" as an example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.