How to "downgrade" from Win8 to Win7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fuzzfas, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I think this guide may come useful to people, specially since many get Pro keys from Dreamspark.

Basically, you need to have Win8 PRO. If so, you can turn it to Win7 PRO.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/how-downgrade-windows-7-210685

With this guide, you can save yourself a good deal of money (see picture below), without rendering your Win8 key useless!

2.png

Maybe Cudni should make this a sticky? :D :D :D

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

For limited period only, sticky that is

3. Fuzzfas

I can't believe it! I was joking! On second thought, i wasn't! :D Good decision! :D

4. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Installing Classic Shell, Start8 or similar software (or even adapting to Modern UI) is smarter than this procedure for those who already have Windows 8 installed and fully functional on their new machines. Also, new machines with touchscreen definitely need Windows 8, as the touch experience with Windows 7 is suboptimal by any point of view.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, but you are forgetting about the people who actually wish to downgrade back to Win 7 from Win 8.

You have to realise, that not everybody is you.

6. Wild Hunter

Of course, I'm just giving my point of view. Nobody is being forced to follow what I say AFAIK.

7. guest

guest Guest

I always downgrade to Win XP
    Linux will be next UPGRADE

8. Wild Hunter

Show me one new machine from a big OEM that comes with Windows 8 Pro pre-installed that can be downgraded to XP without major hacks and issues, please.

New drivers for XP aren't going to be released.

9. guest

guest Guest

Last one I did was a HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1126
    which came with Windows 7
    no XP driver's were available, at least not on their site
    just because drivers are not available does not mean
    it can not be done, there is usually some way of doing it
    you just have to have the skills and keep working at it:D
    have not done a windows 8 machine yet

10. Wild Hunter

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying it can't be done without major hacks and issues.

11. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

I understand what you are saying, but Win7 is good for testing software, the problem with Lyn is that that there is no problem, everything work. :D

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

12. Wild Hunter

Everything work? In what universe?

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Actually as much as I said I hate 8, I purchased a new sony vaio with 8 and with the classic shell I am happy with it.So far my third party apps are running just fine and fast.

14. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi Wild Hunter
    :ouch: :eek: , :D :D

Take Care
    TheQuest

15. Daveski17

You're just going to have to accept the fact that not everyone believes that Win 8 is a super-duper as you do.

Heaven forbid ...

16. Wild Hunter

I'm not denying anything. Some people really don't like Windows 8. But they won't stop me from stating my pov on the matter.

Also, let's stop getting personal with all these "you this" and "you that" or this thread will end up closed or deleted, and Fuzzfas will cry out loud if it happens. You know the moderation , lol. :D

17. Daveski17

That's your problem though isn't it?

This isn't personal. I'm just wondering why you feel the need to proselytise about Win 8 all of the time. It's like an obsession.

18. Wild Hunter

Why? Can't I express my point of view?

All of the time =!= some threads about Windows 8 in WildersSecurity Forum.

Also, I'm not really proselytising. I'm just sharing my pov.

19. Wild Hunter

Yeah, that's a smarter approach than taking all the job of formatting the drive and installing a previous version of the OS with less years of support left and less improvements in less controversial areas.

I would probably do the same with my next machine if it had no touchscreen. With a touchscreen, I think Modern UI can be useful for my usage scenarios.

20. Fuzzfas

The thread won't get deleted, since it's a $125 worth guide for some people. It may get closed, but i can't complain in closed thread, can i? :D As a matter of fact, i am usually quite open to off-topic comments, i have never bothered a mod about "please do something, they are spamming with off-topic posts the topic i started". I don't think i even ever told to another poster "stop posting, because you are off-topic". I am a good guy! :)

Simply, since not all people are capable of doing the "smarter" thing (sevenifying Win8 ), i thought i could post a guide for those who want to do the "dumber" thing. :D Even if it gets locked, whoever is interested, can read it.

21. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

Does it work with Win 8 pro upgrade key? I would use Win 7 Pro instead of home basic!

22. Fuzzfas

Unfortunately, it doesn't. You need a key for the FULL Pro version, not upgrade pack.

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

This is useful information for us tech types, but not for the great majority of less savvy users. It isn't cost effective for my customers to have me downgrade their systems and I won't offer to do it if I'm not confident it will work (the driver compatibility question). There is also the matter of voiding the warranty and losing vendor support. I strongly advise people to try Windows 8 on display machines in the stores before they buy it and point out to them that PCs with Windows 7 can still be bought online. For those who buy PCs with Windows 8 preloaded I install something like classic shell (there are a few good choices) so they can at least function on the desktop.

There is also the confusion of whether or not to create a Microsoft account for logging on. It's an extra step and requires people to type a password every time they log in. A local account can still be created without a password, but then when people inadvertently try to use the Metro apps they get nagged about the Microsoft account. These issues which are trivial to technically minded people are real showstoppers for ordinary users. There's a lot of anger out there.

24. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

It's OK. Even home basic is preferable over win 8 pro :p

25. Fuzzfas

True, that's why the professional in the photo charges $125 to do it for you...

Well, if you don't mind the hassle of installing PRO just for trying, you could attempt to make the phone call to MS. The operator may close an eye, who knows. If you google around, you ll see for example people with OEM Windows, calling and getting the right to install it to new machine even if theoretically they wouldn't be allowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.