How to do a Recovery

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cmar, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmar

cmar Registered Member

I did a back of my HD to an external drive. But if the system crashes and can no longer be booted or if one gets a new system, how does one recover with the backup image?
    You would have to install Win XP on a new HD and also Acronis, so I don't see how the recovery would work in practice to a crashed system.

Norton Ghost was much slower but at least you could recover from an image on external media, since the backup included a bootable version of Ghost.

In True Image 10, I tried to "Create a Bootable Rescue Media" but got error message:

Rescue Media Builder is not installed. Start True Image Enterprise Server custom setup.

But I bought True Image Home 10, not Enterprise Server. So it's a vicious circle. You can do a backup, but there seems no way to recover. This turns True Image into a backup program but not a recovery program, unless I'm missing something.

I also created a Secure Zone, I think, with True Image 9, but it's not clear what that is or whether it contains a bootable version of True Image or is just a blank partition.
    I haven't been able to get tech support on these issues, so if anyone knows how to do a recovery of a crashed system, I would appreciate some insight into it if it's possible.
    Thanks, CMA

Although I haven't been able to reach tech support, I found this on in the FAQ:

. Problems with Acronis bootable rescue media or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

Please try the following workaround:

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears. After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, please modify it in the following way: etc.

However, there is no information on how to create an Acronis True Image rescue disk unless you have True Image Server.
    Perhaps I am misinterpreting what True Image actually does, e.g., it can't be used to restore a system where Windows no longer works. True Image is just meant to go restore data on a working system?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi cmar

Welcome to the ATI Forum :D

Fortunately I have good news for you - ATI is a complete Backup; Restore; Disk Imaging and Disk Cloning utility, which, when used correctly will restore almost any failed system.

The second piece of good news is that you will find answers to most of your problems on this Forum; you will only need to contact Acronis Support in exceptional circumstances.

To start, what you need to do is download the User Guide from the Acronis website. Once you have studied the User Guide you will be able to search for or ask the appropriate questions from the Forum.

You can download the User Guide here:

http://us1.download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImage10.0_ug.en.pdf

When you have read the User Guide please come back to the Forum with your questions.

Tabvla

3. cmar

cmar Registered Member

Recovery

From the User Guide:
    "If your operating system does not load for some reason, you can run Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. However, this must be activated prior to use; see 3.4 Acronis Startup Recovery Manager to learn more about this procedure. To run the program, press F11 during bootup when you see a corresponding message that tells you to press that key. Acronis True Image Home will be run in the standalone mode, allowing you to recover the damaged
    partitions.
    If your disk data is totally corrupted and you cannot boot (or if you have not activated Acronis Startup Recovery Manager), load the standalone Acronis True Image Home version from the bootable media, supplied with the retail box or created by you using Rescue Media Builder. Then you will be able to restore the disk from its previously created image."

I downloaded the program, so I don't have a "standalone TI bootable media." And I can't create one using Rescue Media Builder, since I get an error message saying that I need TI Server to do that. So you have a catch 22: you can use TI if Windows is already working, when you don't need it. But how do you use it if you can't boot to Windows?
    Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Activating the Startup Recovery Manager, changes the MBR, which may make the system completly unusable. So the way to go is to create a bootable CD with Windows and TI.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“Rescue Media Builder is not installed. Start True Image Enterprise Server custom setup.”

During installation you are asked to select something like “Typical”, “Complete” or “Custom”. I always choose “Custom”. There, you will see an option to install the Rescue Media Builder”. I assume that this was not installed when TI was first put on your system.

5. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Re: Recovery

Once again -

During installation you are asked to select something like “Typical”, “Complete” or “Custom”. I always choose “Custom”. There, you will see an option to install the Rescue Media Builder”. I assume that this was not installed when TI was first put on your system.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Come on CMAR steady down. You have started five different threads today. Sort out your priorities and have you problems, if any, sorted out for free by the vounteers here and if necessary by TI support.

I for one do not feel inclined to help any more by trying to keep track of threads, coming up with a solution and then finding you have opened up yet another topic.

So I wish you Good Afternoon.

Xpilot

7. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

And I thought I was the only one that felt this way. o_O o_O

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cmar,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

As you probably already figured out Acronis Rescue Media Builder should be installed in order to be able to create Acronis True Image Bootable Media. The instructions on how to install Acronis True Image and its components described in Chapter 2. "Acronis True Image Home installation and startup" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide.

Please note that in case of failure you can use the created Acronis True Image Bootable Media to restore your system. Also, if the operating system won't load for some reason you can use Acronis Startup Recovery Manager to load the standalone version of Acronis True Image. Acronis Startup Recovery Manager provides the same functionality as the full version of Acronis True Image when booted from bootable rescue CD. Acronis Startup Recovery Manager stores the necessary files for booting the standalone version in the Acronis Secure Zone. If you try to activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager while Acronis Secure Zone is missing from the system, you will be prompted to create the zone, then Acronis Startup Recovery Manager will be activated. Otherwise, Acronis Startup Recovery Manager will be activated immediately.

P.S. I have merge two of your threads since they were about the same question. Please try to avoid posting duplicate requests in the future as it makes us as well as other forum members do a double work sometimes.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  9. data7

data7 Registered Member

I guess I don't understand why you don't do a "Complete" install to insure that you have everything that is available.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.