How to disable firewall permanently?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by adlantec, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adlantec

adlantec Registered Member

Hi there...

Is it possible to disable the firewall permanently? Since we have a corporate firewall appliance we don´t really need desktop firewalls and they interfere with some applications. But we want to use antivirus and antispam...

If so, is there a way to have the systray-icon turn green even with a disabled firewall?

Thanks,
    André

2. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Registered Member

Use the Anti Virus Product instead of the ESS product.

3. adlantec

As I stated above: We want to use the AntiSpam feature, so just going back to NOD32 won´t do the trick...

Laters,
    André

4. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

5. adlantec

I did exactly that (rule allowing everything) a few days ago, but somehow I still have problems with some database connections being closed randomly... Seems to work when the firewall is completely disabled, but I´ll have to check with our customer tomorrow...

Will get back here when I have some new information...

Thanks,
    André

6. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

Are you running Microsoft Firewall Client for ISA 2004? I've had many issues - including random database disconnections - with SBS 2003 workstations and the FWC and ended up removing ESS from our Network. EAV works fine though.

7. adlantec

I am not running any other firewall client.

I just checked with out customer again, and it really seems like there are no problems with dropped connections, when the firewall is disabled. We will test for another 2 days and see what happens...

Going back to EAV is not an option, since we really need spam protection on the clients...

Laters,
    André

8. adlantec

I confirmed with our customer today: When the ESET firewall is disabled, the application works without any dropped connections. When enabled (even with "Allow ANY<->ANY rule" it doesn´t!

The application uses SQLAnywhere on the server, connections are dropped randomly when firewall is enabled.

So any idea what I can do? I really need to get that working without going back to EAV. If I can´t get it to work I might even have to consider using some other product, and I really don´t want that!

Thanks,
    André

9. mickhardy

Have you checked the event logs on the clients? Some of our issues had related EventID Errors.

10. adlantec

There are no events listed. Only thing I see is in the SQLAnywhere log on the server, stating the connection has been dropped by the client.

11. mickhardy

Sounds like yet another ESS mystery issue. I dealt with many before giving up on ESS. We're licensed until 2011 so I'll check it out again next year and see if it's evolved a little.

Comodo is running here alongside EAV quite nicely and we have external anti-spam through our ISP who relay our Exchange Email so I'm sorted for the interim .

12. adlantec

Isn´t there any workaround like deleting some DLLs or something which would prevent the firewall from starting? I know that´s quick and dirty, but as long as there is no other way I´d do that...

Anyone knows anything about that?

Laters,
    André

13. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Hey Andre why you want cripple the ESS so much ?!? I see that like having a new car and taking the engine out in order to rebuild it to a freight vehicle. As already recommended here, you have thousand options to make a strong security combo like the EAV + any of antispam progs out there, unless you have secondary aims.

14. adlantec

We sold ESS to our customer and I just can´t tell them to buy something else now... And I don´t really want to cripple it, it just doesn´t work the way it is supposed to, so I have to do something...

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Good deal :D I think it will never work in a way you want, i.e. everything in ESS works and only the firewall is permanently disabled. It simply can't work as the ESS, in its complexity, isn't built to accommodate your wishes. You can stop all traffic manually, though, or turn off the firewall temporarily. If it is not enough, focus on your corporate firewall settings, try to by-pass him or let all traffic go to the particular desktop, where the ESS will do its work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.