How to determine if notebook has been acessed by live usb O/S

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Willmar, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Willmar

Willmar Registered Member

Is this possible to tell?

I'm thinking that if windows itself hasn't been booted there won't be any traces there.

USBDeview doesn't show anything.

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I don't think there are easy ways of telling. Most non-HD memories are volatile and gets destroyed after reboot or shutdown.

3. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

To monitor as opposed to prevent, I think you'd have to be looking at physical tells.

Any logging would have to be at BIOS level, not aware of mainstream BIOS that would do that.

Is your concern OS/data (FDE would be a control for that, or TPM secure boot), or someone messing with the MBR etc (Evil Maid)?

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Yep, I think all three of us are wondering how to help you. I'ld say you are safe if your computer doesn't have a hard drive. If it does have a windows OS on a hard drive I would recommend using full disk encryption on Windows to make sure nothing changes on the hard drive. LIVE disks are designed not to change stuff on the hard drive, but operator errors allow for accidents, which is why I recommend encryption to eliminate traces from such errors.

5. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

There are some BIOSes that might be able to do this. There is an Intel module that is in many of their processors referred to as AMT that could in theory do this. It is a module with separate processor running its own code that can check the integrity of the main system and can't be touched by it. It can run when a laptop is turned off as long as there is a battery in it. As far as I can tell, it is mainly used by corporate IT systems to monitor employee laptops and I'm sure it could log all USB access if programed to do so and report that access to whoever administrates it. Scary stuff but interesting too. I haven't checked Intel to see if I can get the software to administer it myself but it I wouldn't mind playing with it a bit if I had the right software.

6. inka

inka Registered Member

For several years now, nearly all hard drives contain an inbuilt S.M.A.R.T. controller.
    Continually, during operation, the controller cumulatively logs events/stats regarding the drive.

You can use a freeware S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics utility, on demand, to read the logged data.
    The "detail of interest" for you, here, is "POH" (power-on-hours).
    At shutdown, if you check (and jot down, for later reference) the POH total...

...when you next use the laptop, recheck the POH value to determine whether the laptop has been powered on during your absence.

=========

a related note:

Check the features/settings provided by the notebook's BIOS. You'll probably find that you can selectively restrict / disable individual boot devices. If so, consider marking the settings to disallow boot from USB devices and or CD-ROM, then apply an administrative BIOS setup password.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.