How to delete Zombie Cookies

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by VenInd, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VenInd

VenInd Registered Member

2. Newby

Newby Registered Member

When marketeers are that smart to use 9 digit RGB code in small pixel pictures for ID-tracking they deserve to trace your habits :oops:

Suppose most of the zombie cookies can be cleaned using ccleaner and reading the wiki article

3. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's prudent to assume that all activity on a particular computer can be correlated. Using different VMs on the same host is OK unless it really matters. Using different physical machines is safest. Avoid connections via networks, shared drives, USB drives, etc.

5. VenInd

VenInd Registered Member

6. VenInd

VenInd Registered Member

Hard task.

7. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I abhor this practice. I'm afraid that it's the wave of the future unless it's stopped. Especially the cloud-based storage of cookies linked to unique identifiers from a users computer. I think, in a way, Amazon is very much like that whether you actually call it a "cookie" or not. It's all for their recommendations when you sign-in. Frankly, I get much value from that and don't see it the same as some of these that are simply collecting aggregate data to sell; worse yet, to pitch me products I have no interest in, but based on random collection from your area, etc.

The difference: with Amazon, you have to sign-in. These nefarious sites recognize your computer from that unique ID tied to a cloud-based cookie. ("This computer's been here before!")

9. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

If you want to avoid Zombie cookies why not run the browser in a sandbox such as sandboxie (Theres a free version) and simply set it to delete the sandbox on closure? This way no cookies could persist because the browser cannot create anything outside the sandbox.

10. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I agree Tomwa Sandboxie is superb for this sort of thing.

11. arran

arran Registered Member

Rest assured there is a way, there is a way to permanently block flash cookies from being placed on your harddisk in the first place. This solution is better than having to have ff addon called betterprivacy

This is what you do, create a zero byte file and name it "Macromedia" then navigate local disk c, Users, pc name, app data, Roaming and in there you will see a folder called Macromedia in that folder is where the flash cookies are created. Delete the Macromedia folder and then put in the zero byte file you created. Now because it is now a file instead of folder no new flash cookies can be created and the OS cannot create another Macromedia folder because there is a file already there with the same name. End result no more Flash cookies. :D :D :D

12. arran

arran Registered Member

There is also another firefox addon which you should add to your blog, I just found it the other day it kicks ass one of the best Ive seen, its a user agent Randomizer it changes your user agent every time you load a webpage or refresh an existing page. a perfect tool to block Finger Printing.

Secret Agent

https://www.dephormation.org.uk/?page=81

13. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

W.O.T had some things to say, but I've seen them to be overcritical before..

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/phorm.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.