How to create bootable rescue DVD(s):

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wdormann, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryberry

jerryberry Registered Member

Hi Mencorman

I made a new back up last night - ticked the VALIDATE IMAGE box in the settings sections and it all ran through fine. I even loaded the image fine by browsing to the HD where they were stored and got the point where I was ready to proceed with restore.

However burnt to a dvd - same thing as soon as I select the (or one of) archive files IMAGE IS NOT A TRUE IMAGE FILE OR IS CORRUPTED. I have also burnt on a different PC with a different version of nero.

Using version 10 is too easy at work we only have version 9.

One thing I noticed today. I took a 650 mb split of a laptop for a test. It said there was like 28 mins left - it seemed it was creating a new volume then it went up to 2 hours started dropping down then suddenly zapped a few green lines across and then said completed successfully - I checked the file sizes and they were ok though - wierd?

2. flimbag

flimbag Registered Member

I'm having the same problems as Harv. Here's my set up:

Using Acronis True Image 9.0 Build 3567
    I've got six, 650 meg .tib files, written to drive. They all verify fine.
    I've got a working Rescue CD. This happily lets me boot up and restore my backup from a non-bootable DVD drive if I switch the disks over. Building my DVD using WinIso 5.1 and Nero 7.

So far, I've tried two different methods. The early WinIso method gets me into the rescue programme, but it won't see the DVD -- even though it's actually booted from the DVD. Using this method, the only drive I can see in my laptop (a Toshiba, Centrino Dual Core, with a DVD/CD-RW) is the hard drive.

As it starts up, I get a message saying something like:
    Not probing eth0 and eth1 as both are in use. (Not verbatim, but words to that effect.)

So, then I switch over to the UltraIso method. That gets me as far as 'Booting Acronis Loader...' (again, not verbatim, but the second stage in the boot process), at which point, it hangs.

I've tried with Phillips DVD+RW and Maxell DVD+R. Always written at 2x, in a Lite-On drive capable of 8x.

One possibility though, could be that I'm creating my rescue CD/rescue iso image on my laptop, but as that doesn't have a DVD writer, I actually build the final image and burn it in Nero's on a Workstation.

To be honest, I don't really expect a solution. I've just spent so much time trying to make it work that the obsessive/compulsive side of me thinks well, at least I've gotta try.

I wish I'd never seen this damn thread though. :oops:

3. jerryberry

Hi Mencoram

I have made a 650 split image and have restored from it pefectly. Will take it home on the portable HD and burn it into my bootable dvd project. Fingers crossed!!

4. enry

enry Registered Member

hello all,

i made a post recently about the rescue media disk ive made, the full version is not running and only the safe mode works

much of the details is in this link. please kindly check it out.
    note: im using acronis true image home v10.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=154326

To make the story short i was able to run the bootable rescue media disk using the safe mode version. I was able to restore files succesfully, the image i've used is located in my drive d:.

I also made another image file with all the partition backup included and save it to my dvd-r disk with acronis boot loader (full and safe version) installed.

My problem is that once it entered the safe mode version, only the local drives are visible and no cd-drives were detected. I have a full partition backup image which i want to use so i would know if its working or not and is located in the dvd-r which is also my acronis bootable rescue media disk.

1 is there a way for me to access my cd-drives using safe mode?

2. is there a another way to run acronis rescue media disk using full version. so i can run my the backup image from a cd-dvd drive.

3. is the any requirement / prerequisite that i need to configure or install in order for me to run the fullversion??

4 is there a bug? why i cannot run the full version?? or is it because its just a 15day trial??

hope you guys can help me.

thanks

5. jerryberry

hi Menorcaman

well this is interesting - took a 4 split 650 mb image from a laptop at work to test and appended it to my home bootable DVD compilation. It works perfect can access the tibs it shows the partition pattern and got to the PROCEED option as if about to restore. Obviously didnt want to toast my home PC.

clearly something going wrong with home PC IMAGES what? I have no idea - any tipso_O?

6. jerryberry

I figured it out I have been an idiot - if I had only read the script on the side bar saying - please use the LAST archive in this series before using this archive!!!

Well at least I have learnt how to do this - and thanks for all the tips. See you later.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi jerryberry,

I'm not sure what you mean by " - please use the LAST archive in this series before using this archive". If you meant that TI was telling you to insert the disk containing the last Volume before proceeding (in which case your image must be on more than one DVD) then that's what I said in my reply in Post #294:

Anyway, I'm pleased that you finally managed to figure it out.

Regards

8. harps21k

harps21k Registered Member

I followed the above step & also the steps in post 171. I get the same problem with both.
    The DVD creates & burns fine, but when i restart to test that the DVD boots up, nothing happens.... No errors or anything, just stuck on the booting from CD... prompt in bios.

Can anyone help. Tried it on 4 PC's & 1 Laptop same problem...

9. jsolo

jsolo Registered Member

Harp,

The above procedure does indeed work (very well too).

I have tested it successfully with ultraiso v8.6.0.1936.

To diagnose your issue, I would dumb it down some.

Before injecting anything into your acronis .iso file, consider burning the bootable media iso to a cd or dvdr(w), see if you're able to boot with that.

If not, you need to determine why first.

Once you can boot with it, then start adding files to it.

Also, when you do burn the .iso, you should be burning it as an image files, not a data file on a iso9660 compatible disk. That is you want to burn an image to a disk, not create a data disk.

10. pancho

pancho Registered Member

Re post # 171

You can also create a bootable rescue image to your hard drive and by pass the cd insertion process above.
    Ultraiso will still create a "bif" file from that image using the above procedure.

11. Menorcaman

Off topic post removed. The thread topic is about creating bootable rescue DVD(s):", not about the reliability of True Image. Thank you.

Menorcaman

12. juustomies

juustomies Registered Member

Hi, with due respect to mencorman and others I have tried to get a reliable system for creating bootable DVD images for machines with <2Gb of stuff on them (I have many to protect). It has never been very successful.
    I've looked at the Acronis web spec for TI 10 home, but it still remans unclear to me if it is possible to create a bootable DVD with tib files on it straight out of the box. I read this on the wishlist forum dating 2004 so I was hoping it might have been incorporated by now. I am running all XP SP2 machines with DVD/RW drives.

PS are you familiar with this procedure:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t381776.html

couldn't make this work either! it always boots and load fine, but says 'backup is not last volume or is corrupted'.

Thanks in advance and apologies if thread has already answered this. Z:blink:

13. Menorcaman

Hello juustomies,

Yes, that feature was introduced as long ago as TI 9.0 Home Build 3625.

Using the latest build of TI 10.0 you can opt to create an image to blank DVD media that also contains the Acronis bootable Media Components plus the One-Click Restore (if required) as follows:

Whilst imaging direct to DVD in Windows mode, select the "Set the options manually" radio button, choose "Media components" and then select the components you want to include with the image on the first DVD (e.g. TI (Full) version and the One-Click Restore). The first disk of the image set will then act as the Acronis bootable rescue disk.

Caution - if using the One-Click Restore feature, make sure the image you are restoring is of the whole disk not just of an individual partition. If it isn't then any other partitions on the destination disk will be deleted. You have been warned!!

Regards

14. gaulix

gaulix Registered Member

Hello,

I am new on this board and I first would like to thank MenorcaMan for that great HOWTO guide of which worked perfectly.

I used Acronis True Image v10.0.4940 Home Edition and Ultra ISO v8.6.1. I followed the guide to a "T" and it worked out a_OK. I needed to make an image of my laptop (ECS - AMD Athlon XP 2200+ - 40 gig HD and only 192 MB Ram!!!) and I gotta say, I've wasted many blanks trying to get a good working bootable restore DVD.

Using MenorcaMan's method and the versions of software I used, some steps are slightly different. One important step is when it comes to creating your image, I chose "DVD 4.7 GB" and no parsing. My Image came out to be 1.8 gigs.

All in all, it worked out great and I'm a happy puppy! Thanks again MenorcaMan!

-gaulix-

15. Menorcaman

Hi gaulix,

My pleasure. :)

Regards

Menorcaman

16. gracie

gracie Registered Member

WOW! I have been working towards copying my image to dvds and really CANNOT believe what a lot of trouble one has to go through - I mean, REALLY!!! And not only that, but it is expected that we have to purchase another program to burn the image. I would really like to see this become an easy built-in with TI. I used to use Drive Image and it worked perfectly well and easily too.... MAN - what a disappointment :(

17. Menorcaman

Hello gracie,

No need to become too upset as it really depends on which Version/Build of TI you are using.

TI 9.0 Build 3625 and later versions can create images direct to DVD without use of third-party UDF packet writing software. In addition, there is now an option to include the Acronis bootable rescue media when imaging direct to DVD. So, for most users, the procedures posted in this thread have been rendered obsolete. :cool:

Regards

18. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I can attest to the fact that Version 10 build 4942 does make it easy to make a bootable DVD with the backup image on it and the process will span dvds if needed. But I honestly wouldn't want to use this method if the backup takes up more than 3 DVDs because of what I see others refer to as the dvd shuffle when you're restoring the image.
    If this seemingly unending swapping of the disks can be eliminated and the restore process would ask for the disks in the correct order this would make the feature worthwhile.

19. gracie

gracie Registered Member

Thanks for this information - now may I ask for a step by step method for how to do this in TI 10, please... Thanks very much!

20. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

From your installed True Image software, look under Tools/Options/Default Backup Options/Media Components.
    Then click the Advanced tab and put a check mark in Acronis True Image Home. This will select both the Full and Safe versions.
    Now OK out of it and procede to do your Backup.

21. Menorcaman

Hello again gracie,

Not quite step by step but, assuming you are familiar with creating images to DVD using the latest versions of TI, <post #3 in this previous thread> should provide sufficient information on how to also include the Acronis bootable media components.

If you are not familiar with the basic concept of creating and restoring TI images, check out GroverH's step by step <Beginners Guides>.

Regards

22. gracie

gracie Registered Member

Thanks DwnNdrty and Menorcaman - I will try this over the weekend...:)

23. trying2a

trying2a Registered Member

hi all,

its been awhile, i use to backup using acronis 8 & ultraiso 7 and followed the above superb instructions.

however recent upgrades to acronis 10 -4942 & ultraiso 8 premium have me confused in the method to make a booteable disk with image. followed #308 steps above

i. using acronis 10 backed up hd & validate ok & added both safe mode thing during image

2. then using media builder made bootdvd.iso

3 then followed #308 above, but at step 8, after i click "burn cd/dvd image" - theres no file change etc, it jumps straight to burn image dialogue.

help

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  24. smiley2

smiley2 Registered Member

maybe this gets removed for off topic, but is this a problem when using SATA HD in combination with IDE DVD writers?

I got several cases like that in the past, e.g. you burn a DVD using Nero,
    verification checked, burns and verifies ok, but the data on DVD are not binary equal to the original data, so leading to "corrupted image" or DVDs not able to boot.

Our solution was to set the SATA to "AHCI" or "Native" mode.
    After that the DVDs were ok.

hth, :)

25. Menorcaman

Hello trying2a,

As I've not upgraded to TI 10.0, I'm not able to confirm whether the above quoted procedure is still applicable or not. Hopefully someone else can chip in and set our minds at rest.

Meanwhile, please recheck what you have done by carefully tracing through my original <Post #269 (including the screenshots)>.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.