How to configure HIPS?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jmorlan, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

To my knowledge Zemana offers no protection, it is only a scanner

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

That is incorrect. It offers keylogger protection as well as protection from code injection, registry access, driver loading, physical memory access. Zemana provides very good protection from zero day threats where AVs may fail:
    http://malwareresearchgroup.com/malware-tests/flash-test-results/
    Perhaps you are thinking of Zemana Anti-Malware, not Zemana AntiLogger.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Zemana detects any suspicious activity and conduct a behavioral analysis to identify the different types of threats.

But, question: is this software able to block intallation or uploading of malware?

Yes, perhaps, it's possible.

4. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Yes. Sometimes it does this automatically, other times it displays a popup and requires user intervention.

5. acillatem

acillatem Registered Member

O.k. I just downloaded 5.0.94.0, and I have no idea what HIPS even does, I use NOD32 "right out of the box," pretty much......so should I put mine in learning mode for 14 days, or just leave it set to automatic? Thanks in advance!

6. acillatem

The first link doesn't show anything, and second link shows how to enable it. That isn't my concern, it was enabled by default. What I'm curious about is if leaving it in automatic mode is sufficient? It wasn't even part of NOD32 before, so I'm wondering how important it is, and what is the most user friendly configuration to use.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Searches for topics labelled HIPS on the ESET board and not sub-board yielded these findings:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=4351474
    Why the previous search link I posted broke, I do not know as it worked at the time of posting.

As I stated already, there are sufficient threads and ESET Solution Numbers quoted in these readily available and clearly marked threads to be of use to you, acillatem :ouch:

If you are not getting the support that meets your needs via Wilders, submit an Issue Ticket Request to ESET.

Please be reminded that most of us provide ESET Support since we are ESET users and have a passion for the software. None of us are available 24 x 7.

I wish all on the v5 engine luck with HIPS issues as I will no longer be attempting to assist in resolving such issues from here forward unless ESET provides better support information.

8. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

To see what the HIPS set to "Automatic" is blocking, check "Log all blocked operations" in the setup tree under HIPS->Advanced setup. The results will be displayed under Tools->Log files->HIPS.

9. acillatem

Thanks!

10. acillatem

That link is broken as well. I know how to use the search function......I was asking if it's a big deal just to leave it at the default settings. If you're going to get annoyed, don't reply, simple as that.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hello acillatem.

I use it in the default automatic-mode.

If you set it to interactive you will be asked loads of question, wich sounds as it's not the best idea for you at the moment, if you are an unexperienced HIPS user.

12. acillatem

Thanks!
    Yes, probably not, as it is brand new to me.
    I just plugged a USB drive in, and a window came up telling me it detected the drive, and it was ESET, and I simply ignored it. I'm assuming that is an example of what HIPS does, correct?

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No that sounds like a pop-up saying that it scanned, or asked you if you wanted to scan a removeable device such as an portable HD or a USB as in your case.

Depending on your settings it will ask, or scan removable devices automatically. :)

14. acillatem

Oh o.k.....thanks! Never saw that before this version.
    So, with HIPS set to automatic, will I ever really know it's even there? I didn't set up any rules or anything, it's just set the way it is when installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.