How to configure firewall for a webserver?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by datorexpert, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. datorexpert

datorexpert Registered Member

I'm using ESS 3.0.657.0 on x64 Vista Ultimate and I have setup an IIS webserver on port 80.
    How do I configure the ESET firewall to allow access from the Internet to my webserver?
    I have email the ESET support without any luck! No answer or wrong answers!
    Please help me,
    /Thomas

2. datorexpert

Is there no one who knows how to configure ESS when you want the firewall to allow access from the internet to a local webserver?

3. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Hi: if you have ESS running in Interactive or Policy base modes, you have to open advanced config (F5) go to the firewall tab, open the Rules Editor and there you have to add manually a New rule for the app running the web server.

You will see a window to create the rules, with 3 tabs: General, Local and Remote.
    On the General tab: To that rule you will have to add a Name, the direction of traffic (in this case it will be Incoming in order to accept requests from clients connecting to the server) and protocol the traffic will use (TCP/ UDP). You can set the rule to register activity or even to alert the user .
    That was the general tab, then you have to go to the Local tab to set the port and application for the rule (say 80 and the name of the webserver app)
    Finaly on the Remote tab you have to enter the parameters for the rule to accept traffic.

I think you'll be set with that (I'm no expert though).
    Remember that if you are connecting behind a router you'll have to open ports there aswell, but that is another story.

PD I set a Pic to help, my ESS is in Spanish but I think you'll understand.

Attached Files:

4. datorexpert

Thanks alot!
    But it don´t work though!
    Check attached file.

Attached Files:

5. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

you forgot to set the application!!!! See your pic...It allows incoming traffic for Every App on port 80.. You have to set the App in the local tab of the new connection say Apache.. if that is what you're using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.