How to close ports 22,23 and 8080?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tropiland, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tropiland

tropiland Registered Member

Hello to all,
    My first post here. I took the "Audit My PC" on line test and came back with the suggestion that my ports 22,23 and 8080 are open and they list a quite scary trojan/malware list that could get through these open ports. Can anyone help me secure these ports? I am using the newest version of ESET Smart Security suite (v.3.0.650.0).
    Thank you in advance for your time and consideration

2. GAN

GAN Registered Member

It's most likely not your PC, but your router that respond on those ports. I assume you have some sort of router using NAT to translate the IP address from a private to a public IP? In that case when you run a online test you are actually testing the security of the router and not your PC.

By the way the latest version is 3.0.657.0, but that is irrelevant and upgrading won't change the result of the online test. Just to let you know there is a new version.

3. wrathchild

wrathchild Registered Member

Before performing that online test you should see first if detected and your IP adress are the same.

4. Rapid Dr3am

Rapid Dr3am Registered Member

More importantly those tests are not an acurate measure of security. No real pentest takes place.

It's not a case of an open port means a rooted box. You must have a service listening on that port. They must then be able to exploit the service.

Exploiting a service can be done either in the most effective way by causing it to run remote code execution or by using it to upload code to the machine to be run locally. I won't go into the details of how you can perform attacks like this obviously.

Simple fact is that, open ports are not dangerous. If they were every webserver in the world would be hacked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.