How to clean USB socket

Discussion in 'hardware' started by garry35, Jun 6, 2020.

1. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

over times USB connector pins get dirty and cause problems when something is plugged in and its either not recognised or very sensitive, does anybody know of howto clean the ports with either hardware or software ? the ports are type A but probably the same procedure for other types

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I'd start with an anti-static dust removal brush or cloth. However, I've never had usb ports clog, so are you certain you don't have a hardware problem?
    Mrk

3. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Maybe vacuum cleaner or gas duster?

4. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

maybe i havent been clear but iam confident its not a hardware problem because the same hw wrks on other computers

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

But do other USBs work on that computer?

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I don't understand how one might think there could be software that could clean the dirt and grime from connector plugs. :confused:

The best way to clean connector plugs is with some quality electrical contact cleaner. That is exactly what these products are designed for - to safely clean electrical contacts without causing damage to surrounding materials.

Ensure power is totally removed (unplug from the wall and if a battery operated device, remove the battery). Then give the connector a quick squirt of contact cleaner and let the excess drip out. Give it another squirt and carefully insert and unplug a cable a couple times to scrape clean the contacts and you should be good to go - assuming dirty contacts is the problem.
    While it is true connector contacts get dirty over time and can cause problems, USB port problems are frequently caused by other factors, totally unrelated to dirty contacts. These include driver issues, faulty devices, faulty interface, or even non-compliant/proprietary coding :mad: :(.

In my experience, USB has NEVER been the reliable "universal" interface all the marketing hype promised. And to make matters more frustrating, each new version of USB keeps promising to fix those problems, but instead, it keeps getting worse!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: (For a side read, see: USB-C in 2020: Why its still a mess).

I have seen it many times on PCs where the users improperly set up case cooling with "under" or "negative" air pressure caused by too many exhaust fans. With exhaust fans configured to exhaust more air than intake fans can pull in, it creates a slight vacuum inside the case. This vacuum or negative pressure causes outside air (and the dust, hair and dander floating around in that air) to be drawn "in" through every crack, crevice and port in the case, including the USB ports. With just a little "over" or "positive" pressure, you still maintain a good "flow" of cool air through the case but the little over-pressure will also push "out" a little air through all those openings, preventing dust bunnies from gathering in the ports.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The song Under Pressure has never been more fitting, Bill.
    Mrk

8. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.