How to clean a laptop screen

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Pedro, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm looking for a safe and effective way to clean my laptop screen. Googling i found a simple way to clean it, which involves cotton cloth, and a mixture of 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 isopropyl alcohol.
    http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/clean-laptop-screen/
    http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Laptop-Screen-With-Household-Products

I'm wondering if anyone else uses this and if it's safe and effective.
    Just to be sure i'm not about to fry my screen with some obscure alcohol i never heard of (to me, alcohol used to be just that, alcohol..).

Reassure me or tell me how do you clean your screen.

TIA

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Pedro, I use Sprayway® Glass Cleaner to clean all my screens. I like it because it foams as soon as it hits the glass and does not run, however, as a precaution, on a laptop or LCD TV screen, I spray it into a soft cloth and then wipe. I even use it on my keyboard by spraying it into the cap and then dipping a Q-tip to clean each individual key. Don't know if Sprayway would be available where you are but worth the search.

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thank you for the reply. I'll see if it's available here.
    Did you ever try the method above?

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

No, because Sprayway has worked very well since the first day I tried it, many years ago. The only problem I see with the water/alcohol mixture is that it is still a liquid and I would be concerned that it would seep into the screen innards, if one is not careful. In contrast, if you found a foaming cleaning agent (whether Sprayway or something similar) that did not run, that would be the best solution IMO.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

whatever you use to clean an LCD screen make absolutely it contains no ammonia as it will eventually permently fog the screen. I have used 50/50 mix alcohol and water for years and have never had a problem.:thumb: http://www.cleanlcds.com/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Good point! :thumb:

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thank you bigc, that reassures me. I just found, finally, where the tissue for my sunglasses were, and it alone with some water cleaned the thumbs.

The cloth made a big difference. If i find that alcohol, i think i'm buying it. Water alone doesn't clean everything.

Thank you both for participating. You were most helpful.

8. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Another very satisfied Sprayway user here. :)

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I dampen a kleenex folded with warm water and gently wipe in horizontal then vertical sweeps on my lcd screen.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I used a dampended micofiber cloth and do very light, soft n gentle cleaning with it. No pressure on screen by the cloth at all.

I don,t think we need any sprays or alcohol etc.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The problem with cleaning without alcohol or another prescribed cleaner is that a cloth will not remove any oily residues by itself but will smear it instead and it will eventually build up on the surface of the screen.

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I use a spray that come with a microfiber cloth.I purchased at a Radioshack store.Its a pump spray with a very light mist it works great no streaking or fogging.I also dampen the cloth and clean my keyboard its very gentle with no strong orders of harsh chemicals.its special made for LCD or plasma screens.

13. True Orient

True Orient Registered Member

I prefer using the widest masking tape I can get my hands on and gently taping the screen with it. It lifts off whatever grime and oil is on the screen. I use it for the mouse pad, too.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm.... my laptop screen has only dust particles. I don,t feed oil to my laptop. :D

15. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

The only thing I use to clean my laptop screen is a damp paper towel and a non-abrasive, statically charged cloth.

16. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

I use a similar product by Phillips. "Screen cleaning gel for Plasma and LCD screens". On the road, I'll use "cd/dvd/lcd cleaning wipes" by Office Depot

17. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I mix distilled water and common rubbing alcohol in a 50/50 mix. Then, I moisten a micro-fiber cloth with it, lightly wipe the screen and finish it off with a dry micro-fiber cloth. My glossy screen stays new looking for the last 4 years.
    SourMilk out

18. carry

carry Registered Member

I use cyberclean, it is very effective on keyboards too_On screen there is only dust so this product works well.And no water at all.

Here's their site: www.cyberclean.ch/page.php?lang_id=2 - 5k - :)

19. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Same here :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.