how to calculate space needed for consolidation and backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by radianceseeker, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radianceseeker

radianceseeker Registered Member

Hi,

If I have a partition of a certain size, how should I go about figuring out how much space to reserve for the backup (on a separate partition and drive dedicated to holding this backup)?

My goals are:
    1 - the last successful backup is never deleted until the new one is created
    2 - consolidation when it grows to a certain size
    3 - backup partition no bigger than needed
    4 - low level of backup compression to avoid taking too long
    5 - daily backup

Right now I have it set to consolidate after a max of one backups, which will not trigger consolidation until after the second has been created (if I understand correctly).

Using ATI 2009 with backup type incremental.

Questions:

1 - Does consolidating two backups into one put the first, successful backup at risk? Or is it left intact until after consolidation is complete?

2 - where are files written during the consolidation process, after completion of the second backup but before it is consolidated back into one? are these written to the backup partition, the C: drive, windows swap space, or what?

3 - with an incremental backup, i see .tib files created for the first day's full backup, and much smaller .tib files created for the follow-on incremental backups. Do these increment backups count as the second, consolidation-triggering backup?

4 - it seems that worst case would be I need to reserve 3x the size of the original source partition -- 1x to hold the first full, 1x to hold the second, consolidation-triggering backup, and 1x to hold the consolidated result as it is created, and even possibly a little more working space -- depending on how consolidation works. How does consolidation actually work?

Thanks for any help.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Acronis can probably give a pretty specific answer, but until that happens, I will note that my understanding is that, as a rule of thumb you should should figure at least twice the the sum of the following:

the existing backup set
    the new backup

3. radianceseeker

radianceseeker Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.