How to be "Invisible" online - The next best thing

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by hawki, Dec 8, 2018.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

hmmm

Lots about social media there. Maybe easier to "just say no"?

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, I agree that it's easier, but for a lot of people that is not an option (for whatever reason). In such situation they can apply this configuration changes if they have not already.
    Most of the changes in that infographic are easy to make, but IMO this won't provide high level of privacy. Two things that can be used by masses that are not mentioned are usage of adblocker and VPN.

4. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Just ordered Jaron Lanier's "Ten Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now" (published May 2018, so I'll report back - not that I need to act on that message! I have the smug satisfaction of having viewed FB as anathema from the outset, refused to have anything to do with it.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I must say this is a nice cheat sheet of how to quickly improve privacy. :thumb:

6. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

The thing about this thread and the related thought: it sort of assumes that one device covers your full online persona. It ignores compartmentalization, multiple monikers, etc..... I am in a situation where I feel I must have a Facebook account for my meatspace identity. Same with real name banking and real name email stuff. I think that is true of almost all of us, mainly. So yes I have an encrypted Android by Google and I use this device for many of those needs, but mostly Facebook is on a tunneled linux desktop where I have more control.

However; like a great many here at this site, I spend the vast majority of my online presence(s) wrapped in encrypted communications via computers under activities and names that don't associate with real name stuff. I am a privacy freak, but that said there is a need for being connected appropriately for meatspace (real name) parts of my life. This model works for me and so far I have been navigating online around the world without any issues at all. Without question > 90 percent of my online time is spent behind anonymous connectivity.

7. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

I am in a situation where I don't need FB account badly. But there is some valuable knowledge and helpful people on Facebook. I rather register a fake account to access this knowledge and participate in discussions in these communities. I am talking about topics that I think are more neutral in nature such as sport (training advice) etc

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.