How to backup MBR?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Noob, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I remember a few weeks ago someone told me that Comodo Time Machine sometimes break Windows MBR, and he mentioned he knew how to back it up :)
    So basically i want to know how to do that :rolleyes:

(BTW, yes i'm going to test Comodo Time Machine:thumb: )

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

after this test Noob you will not be a Noob anymore you will be a pro after fixing your pc:D :) :D

3. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Here you go Noob this is what I use when I need to fix a MBR.
    MBRWizard

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I recommend HDHacker. I have used it for a couple of years. Always works flawlessly. Get it HERE -- scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page until you see the heading "HDHacker". It's totally FREE, & it doesn't try to get you to upgrade to a NON-free version.

Description . . .
    You can also get DTaskManager from this same site -- one of my favorite task managers.

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

HxD can help you to back up your mbr.
    Also, UBCD has an MBRtool that can make a copy and replace from copy.

6. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Well I suggest you try:doubt: MBRwizard..

7. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

If you are doing Imaging back ups already of your system, you are already saving your MBR. To be sure, do sector by sector image back ups. And then you can just restore in a few minutes from before CTM theoretically messing up the MBR by using your bootable recovery CD which comes bundled with the various imaging softwares in cases when worst comes to worst(unbootable system). That is if you have at least an image back up before you play CTM.

8. jimmiller96

jimmiller96 Registered Member

I concur with cgeek... MBRWizard has saved my @$% a few times, I definitely recommend it!

I see they now have a GUI version available for simplified ease-of-use, but still have the freeware CLI for those not afraid to get their hands dirty. Whichever app you choose, make sure you take, and keep, a safe backup of your MBR.

Found this new link: http://firesage.com/mbrwizard.php

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! :thumb: :D

10. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

At least someones thinking here :D

Noob - be smart and image your whole system first which as quoted above, will include MBR.

11. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

This is not true for every imaging program.
    Some programs always backup the mbr by default while some others do not.
    Sector by Sector = raw imaging
    Maybe you meant sector based backups instead of sector by sector?

Panagiotis

12. trismegistos

Obviously, sector-based not file-based to image back up the whole disk drive and not some data back ups or what have you. You can even opt not for sector by sector as long as the end result of backing up the mbr as well as the whole drive is gained.

I believed that imaging programs when set to image the whole drive(not individual partitions) will obviously include the MBR/partition table. Now, I give you the floor to name those that do not.

13. jimmiller96

jimmiller96 Registered Member

Even if some backup/imaging applications include the MBR in the backup file, this does not mean they can restore the MBR separately without recovering the entire image. I say that you can't be too careful when it comes to protecting the partition table.

Regardless of the methods I choose to backup my disk and/or data, I ALWAYS capture a separate backup file of my MBR and partition boot records... and recommend you do the same.

14. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Sector by sector is different than sector based imaging.
    The first takes an image of all the surface/sectors of the disk the second takes an image of only the file table of the partition and the sectors that the file table reports as occupied by data. There is a huge difference between the two strategies.
    Sector based imaging of a drive usually includes the mbr because it needs the partition table to restore the partitions in their correct positions (e.g. when the partition table is destroyed). But...
    imaging the system does not necessarily means imaging the whole drive.
    Paragon for example gives to the user the choise to select if he wants the mbr to be included in the image.

Panagiotis

15. trismegistos

Terminologies, Terminologies. This is the reason, people can't communicate very well. Because we are in different levels. The confusion came, when the same term, system, to both of us have acquired different meanings. I'm talking system as the whole system, meaning the whole computer set-up or in this case, the whole drive, but, in your case, system refers to the operating system sitting in a partition. Sector-based or sector by sector, either ways, it gets the job done in my opinion as long as you image the whole drive. I corrected the terms already so as not to cause confusion.

As far as I am concerned imaging the whole system(oops!) or rather the whole drive would back up the mbr and the operating system sitting in a partition as a whole. And this is what I'm relaying to the threadstarter if he's into imaging already. No need for any techno mumbo jumbo. As he can restore corrupted mbr in split second using his bootable recovery cd. Mbr back ups utility might be useful to those who are not yet into imaging.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  16. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

When using a loaded Gun make sure that you point it down Range at all times. CTM is exactly that : Make an image First preferably on that backs up the MBR.

17. trismegistos

Imaging programs can of course restore just the MBR in a snap without recovering the entire image. But it only takes a few minutes also to recover the whole image to the previous clean state for your peace of mind. So, what's the fuss.

Yes, I agree to be careful with partition tables that's why I rely on the simplicity and stability of Imaging programs than utilities that hack the MBR.

Yes, I do the same. But using the same imaging program. I back up my data(separate from the operating system) and another back up of the OS which includes the MBR. And according to pandlouk, there are options(some not by default) in the imaging program on how to do this and they differ slightly on how that is implemented.

Simple set up, isn't it?

PS:
    I only do offline imaging to an external data storage.

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

with a gui?

is there a program with a gui ? to make this more easy and don't make mistakes

thanks

19. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Re: with a gui?

MBRtool

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Re: with a gui?

Go to HERE for the non-free MBRWizard (it costs only $4.95). It has a GUI for MBR back-up & restore. Its GUI also covers several other highly specialized back-up jobs.

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

mrb or boot records

thanks
    nice
    but in the screenshots there are mbr & boot record (and track 0)
    mbr should not include the partition table ,should not it?
    so which are the different between mbr and boot record?

22. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

23. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

A how to article on backing up the MBR.

How to Back Up the MBR - Ghacks

24. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Why all this talk of backing up only the MBR?? Why not go the whole nine yards and back up the entire disk, make an image of the entire contents of the system? It's going to take only a few minutes longer but you'll be far better off in the long run.

25. Magnus Mischel

Magnus Mischel Security Expert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.