How to access data protected by NTFS Rights?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Colin Finck, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colin Finck

Colin Finck Registered Member

Hello,

I made a backup of a Windows XP NTFS partition. Now I want to recover some data from this partition, so I mounted it.

The problem is that I cannot access some data on this mounted partition like the user directory. Windows Explorer shows an error message "Access denied!".

But I also cannot own these data, because the mounted image is read-only.

How can I get access to the data?

Thanks in advance,

Colin Finck

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Can you access the files when they are on the hard drive?
    If not, why would you expect to be able to do so via a backup program?

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Your security SSID has changed - you need to tell your current installation, that it should attach the permissions to your current logon ID's.

This can only (to my knowledge) be done using safe mode. Boot current install - choose safe mode - then navigate to the denied folder/data - right click - choose properties - click on security tab - click on the advanced button - make sure inherit for child properties is ticked click on add - highlight your current log on and after some disk activity - close properties box down - reboot into normal logon and all should be accessible.

Having said that, this works with restored programs/folders - not sure if ti'd work from within a mounted image.

Colin

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Colin Finck,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as bodgy said if you have created an image archive with Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and try to mount it on another computer or in another operating system, you may get Access denied message upon trying to access a folder or a file.

Please be aware that even if the user account you are currently logged on under and that you created the image archive under have the same name, they still have different IDs, therefore you may not have rights to access certain folders.

Please have a look at this FAQ article for details. Also this workaround might be helpful.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.