How SpywareBlaster Works?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by coaster, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coaster

coaster Registered Member

I suppose you get this question a lot: "How does SpywareBlaster work if it's not running?" So, I did look through the previous threads and found an answer I don't understand: SpywareBlaster inserts killbits in the Registry.

What are killbits? How do they stop spyware?

Thanks..... :cool:

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

3. coaster

OK, thanks, that link is informative.

So if I understand it correctly, SpywareBlaster scans HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\ for CLSIDs for known malware ActiveX controls, and then sets a bit in the CompatibilityFlags DWORD value known as the "kill bit." Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, SpywareBlaster modifies the Registry. If I uninstall it, does it restore the Registry entries changed subsequent to installation?

Thanks....

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Per: http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/article.php?id=078

You will need to open SpywareBlaster and click on "Disable All Protection" before uninstalling to revert all changes.

I hope this helps. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That is an important registry key in regards to Spywareblaster ActiveX protection but it does not scan for anything.

Spywareblaster tutorial---> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=49

6. coaster

OK, I gotcha. ;)

Answers the questions about restoring Registry if uninstalled, and about running ActiveX Controls if they're "OK"

(and I was kinda intrigued by how it worked, anyway. :D )

Cool software -- I wish more apps would give added functionality without hogging memory and cpu cycles.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.