How should I manage my images???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bowser, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowser

bowser Guest

I need the advice of the experts around here...

I have successfully created a full backup image to my NAS device on my LAN, verified, etc.

I have scheduled a weekly incremental backup to take place to the same NAS device.

My question is, in 6 months from now, I will have a full backup image and 24 incremental backup files.

What files would I need in order to completely restore a failed hard disk with the latest data? Would I just need the original full backup and the latest incremental or would I need the full backup image as well as the 24 incremental backups?

If I only need the full image and the latest incremental, would it be safe to periodically delete the older incremental files?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bowser,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

When the incremental backup option is selected, the software creates a backup image that only includes the sectors that have changed from the last incremental backup or the full backup, if you create an incremental backup for the first time. Incremental backup is based on the first full backup and on all previously made incremental backups. To restore your system (with the latest data) you should have the full backup image as well as the 24 incremental backups.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. Donprovo

Donprovo Registered Member

I'm no expert but I'll offer a possible "practical" solution.

Keeping an infinite number of incremental backups along with the original full backup is a flawed strategy for most of us. As anyone can see the storage size becomes a problem as does inventory control and data integrity. Restoring such a set of images is a potential nightmare of its own. So many things to go wrong in so many places.

My using TrueImage 8 proves this to me: A full image is not that much bigger than an incremental image. I have a 40Gb drive with 30Gb used so maybe those with huge drives will disagree with me.

Restoring one full image is much simpler than gathering all your incrementals and making sure they're al located in one place so TrueImage can recognize them for restore.

My opinion of TrueImage is it's not a file backup program in the traditional sense and is therefore inefficent when attempts are made to use it as such.

If you think outside the box as to how to do a real backup strategy the choices are as individually unique as the variations in types of data and hardware used. In other words there is no "right" way to do it or any "best" backup program.

If you're a small user just stick with complete backups and skip the incremental mess. If you're a big time operator you need more than True Image 8 to solve your file backup needs.

And for those of us who use TrueImage 8 we already know by now that just because TrueImage 8 has a "feature" available it doesn't mean we should put it to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.