How Secure Is Myspace

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by jonw, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonw

jonw Registered Member

How secure do you think myspace is, I mean almost everyone has one and there just full off all kinds of goodies for people to build a profile on you with from pictures to personal information and much much more. To make this even worse the government is going to start tapping into social networking because apparently terrorist are using them to communicate without worrying about getting caught. This just sounds like a load of crap to me but seriously in your opinion how safe do you think having a myspace is, I have seen idiots have there cell phone numbers on there profile saying text me, come on that's just not smart. This just seems like the best place to post this topic cause most of us on here are crazy about being secure and anonymous.

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

LOL! I still have an account with my real name and picture. But I always use Xerobank and I use Sandboxie. I hope it's okay. But I should probably delete that account and open up another one without using my real info.

And I don't buy all of that non-sense about terrorists using it. And I don't buy all that crap about child predators and stuff either. I think it's a huge load of crap and just an excuse to invade people's personal lives.

3. jonw

jonw Registered Member

That's exactly what I am thinking come on I really dought there using that for secure communications.Its like terrorist A says to terrorist B you got that bomb, terrorist B is like yea dude, terrorist A is like yea if you don't use it I am going to block yo ass.

You got a blocked user in your future faggot lol.

No but seriously I was reading terrorist use bot nets and set them up as there anonymous proxy but I don't no I could be wrong.

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

It is as secure (or not) as your password, and the user settings you apply to the account.
    It is default-public, IIRC.You need to reset the options for viewing/interacting with your profile to "friends only" (or similar) if you don't want just anyone looking at your info/photos.
    I hope I don't have to tell you how to create a strong password here.
    Regarding what Facebook do with the information you post, you should read their privacy policy.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You have no idea how wrong you are unfortunately. It is a child predators paradise. You see, many people have this idea of the child predator as the "really sweet guy, who's older, "but hey, he listens to me, he understands me" ". That's the wrong perception and one reason these guys aren't caught very often. The real child predator pretends to be just like these children, he talks about the things they do, he uses their slang, he shares their interests "hates his parents too" just like them, listens to their music and knows about the bands . In other words, he's just a "regular kid".

It would disturb you to see just how many of the profiles at Myspace and, indeed, Facebook, are fake. Do you understand how easy it is to set up a really slick looking profile page with embedded popular music and albums full of Google images...Um, I mean...."me at this awesome party with meh buds"? I can make you 1000% sure I'm just your standard 15yo kid just by spending an hour building a profile.

As far as terrorists, the other post about terorists posting comments like "Hey, did you get that bomb?" "Yeah, we're all set", that's not even close to what they do on these websites, and yes, they indeed do use them. Your terrorist is not going to rant and rave like a maniac on a publicly viewable front page, nor is he/she going to make any kind of mention of "blowing anything up". That would be stupidity in the extreme.

What they do is set up "regular folk" profiles, with their interests just like us, but they share their religious views too and offer a place for other like-minded, let's say, Islamists, to get together and talk and hang out. In other words, they use Myspace and Facebook as recruitment tools. The real story happens off-site in anonymous chat rooms, forums, and other places set up for these like-minded people.

6. jonw

jonw Registered Member

I hate to say it and to break it to you but if teach a teenager to be smart the child pedophile thing would be no issue, okay say a 15 year old girl wants to meet a guy she is talking to on myspace and they want to meet in person, have them meet in a public place like say a mall or something similar problem solved.

Now for the terrorist issue yes I am sure this is a problem but for one the government has used this as a excuse more and more to invade privacy they try to make it sound like there is millions of terrorist using myspace as we speak to plan the next attack on America.For two terrorist are going to use far more advanced stuff than myspace for communications, and as far as recruiting other terrorist over myspace that kinda sounds lame to me.Most terrorist are brought up with this false ideology and the ones they do recruit they do it while they are young.People in this day and age act like the internet is the only thing terrorist use, what about all the secret messages they pass from person to person in the real world.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hate to break it to you, but no matter how much you teach your child, they're going to do stupid things, because, they are a child. You cannot watch your child 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You're counting on parents to teach their children well, but the sad fact is that too many parents have no clue as to what goes on in their chi8lds school, much less outside the house with friends or in their bedrooms sitting at the computer.

You also seem to think child exploitation involves taking the child from their home/kidnapping them out in public. They can be exploited by having their information posted elsewhere, private videos made by them (webcam videos are notorious) and shared by creeps around the globe and even schoolmates. There are many many ways your child can be exploited without ever having met the other person or even leaving the house.

Terrorists using the net to recruit is not a lame excuse made by the government, it is a growing problem with serious consequences. Your homemade terrorist no longer has to pack their bags and train in Afghanistan, they can learn how to make improvised weaponry sitting at their desk vis posted training manuals and, even online classrooms, much like college. The internet is an amazing, powerful, and very convenient vehicle to further their cause, and it will be used even more in the future.

8. jonw

jonw Registered Member

So your trying to tell me that there going to be soon recruiting people in America, lol yea i can semi understand with the teenager issue but now for the terrorism no I can't. Now tell me even if this is the case does the give the USA the right to listen to my phone calls , tap into my emails and what I am doing on the internet. Please don't say yes on that because that means you might as well be working with the USA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.