How secure is Chrome's sandbox?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by moontan, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I thought those were fixed. I know IE Protected Mode and Sandboxie still don't mesh, though.

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

As far as I know only if you are using Online Armor as your firewall/hips. The incompatibility is with OA, not Chrome or SB. For example, Chrome and SB work just fine together in Outpost without having to add anything to any program's exclusions.

From Emsisoft:
    Running Chrome inside a Sandboxie sandbox won't work unless you exclude Chrome from Online Armor.

Acadia

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

In Vista/Windows when you apply a deny execute to the download folder, through explorer (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=278011) and add the 1806 trick (explanation https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1852017&postcount=2 and regfiles https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1852024&postcount=5 ) it is as strong an containment as sandboxie.

To obtain IE8 smartscreen like protection, add the McFee SiteAdvisor extension and the Bitdefender trafficlight extension. Chrome will also povide a download reputation checker in future versions to match the new IE9 smartscreen capabilities. So it is just a matter of time.

Two big benefits of SBIE over Chome
    a) easy clearing of sandbox
    b) the ultimate nerd playing tool: buster-sandbox-analyser

Regards Kees

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You don't need those 2 extensions for smartscreen like protection. Chrome already blocks malicious websites.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, Google Chrome blocks access to malicious websites by default. Nonetheless, it doesn't hurt to have an extra rating/blocking system. I'd personally choose LinkScanner Search-Shield, which already works with Chrome/Chromium and BitDefender's TrafficLight. There's a bug between Search-Shield and Traffic-Light, though (both Chrome extensions). I already reported it to BitDefender, so hopefully they'll manage to work it out.

WOT is also a great choice. Between WOT and SiteAdvisor, I'd pick WOT. I follow the work of some of the sources behind WOT's ratings, and trust them. Late events made be suspicious about McAfee. But, that's just me. :blink:

Actually, at least AVG's Search-Shield and WOT would make a nice couple. If TrafficLight makes its peace with AVG's Search-Shield, people could have a nice threesome there. :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.