How Reliable and Accurate is this?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PJC, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

MBAM will likely never detect anything, and you will probably end up removing it. It also slows down systems and browsing. I found it completely useless and sold my pro license off to someone else. I just didn't find it useful, and also I do not believe it is being updated as much as it should anymore.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

o_O My experience is the polar opposite of yours.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Uh, from forum members? No, I don't believe so haha

These results seem contradictory to every test I've seen.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

For the last 6 months I've had Avira Premium on my main machine, and MBAM Pro with its protection enabled on 2 other machines. Nothing has been detected on any of these computers so far. As a result I'd say the Internet is not as dangerous as some people make it out to be. May be this is also due to Windows' new operating systems being designed with security in mind.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Or it could be some of us are not surfing to the places where such malware exists. It is also possible some have other layers of protection in place, such as ad-blocking which may well stop malware entering via that way.

Kaspersky Lab, in their summary of 2012 threats, say this:
    Other companies may give different statistics, but this is what KL say they've seen. So it would seem there is dangerous stuff out there, but it depends if we come into contact with it.

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Cannot agree more with you on this! :thumb:

7. m0use0ver

m0use0ver Registered Member

Wow how wrong are you ?

I believe they most have been using some kind of averaging metric as Malwarebytes which had only recently been added to VT performed so poorly when this was first posted

Now they been on VT for a few months there seems to be a leveling out of that averaging :)

1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  8. southcat

southcat Registered Member

If their test result is accurate, then i am so wrong, because recently i just removed MBAM Pro+Avast Free, because i added Emsisoft AM.

9. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Your replacement is fine although for your ex combo you should only pay once.
    ;)

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

AV Rating changes very frequently!

MBAM on top...

11. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Avast Symantec and Comodo all at 52%?

12. spywar

spywar Registered Member

As I said manytimes, I have additional acces to their DB ... Many FPs Adwares etc etc .. outdated samples ... But no info about their packs used in these tests.

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes, but it's more than that, it's not just about coming across malicious files, but letting them infect your computer. Unless a threat uses an unpatched exploit to execute automatically, threats usually only infect a compuer when they are executed manually. You can encounter malicious content without getting infected, just by recognising it may be dangerous and not letting it run.

14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Actually, it has never detected anything on my system because it usually blocks the page itself before anything gets a chance to get on my system. Slowdown? Maybe only in shutdown/boot up times, but not surfing in general in my experience. How did you have the updates scheduled? You have several options in the scheduler settings, anywhere from once to realtime. I think default is hourly, but I and many others have it set to realtime, with a check of every 5 minutes. I get new definition updates probably around every 20 to 30 minutes on some days. How much more often do you think is needed?

15. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

MBAM 1st? then the test is reliable but the people who made it don't o_O :D

16. itman

itman Registered Member

+1

I had the latest Pro version on my Win 7 SP1 installation for two weeks. Initially minimal impact but as time went on PC got slower and slower; most notably boot times. The straw that broke the camel's back was last Friday when at boot time, I was bombarded with 170 inbound connections from it that were blocked by the WIN 7 firewall for invalid protocol. What was interesting about this was it occured prior to the NIS 2013 firewall activating. That was it for me. Pro version is off my PC for good.

17. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Never had a problem running the pro version. Occasionally running a scan will slow things down and boot speed is slightly delayed. Other than that I think it's a great program. Lifetime license, IP blocker and great detection rate. What's not to like?

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nice result for MBAM on Jan 9, 2013.

19. m0use0ver

m0use0ver Registered Member

Not technically true with regards details of packs used.

Lifted from the stats page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.