How quickly do you boot into Windows (or other OS)?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 7, 2006.

?

How long is your boot time?

1. Less than 30 seconds

60 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. 30-60 sec

71 vote(s)
    39.0%
  3. 60-90 sec

36 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. 90-120 sec

10 vote(s)
    5.5%
  5. more than 2 min

11 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. more than 5 min

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. mine PC refuseth to boot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jokimoto

Jokimoto Registered Member

Around 50 seconds to ready-to-run-an-app, assuming I've made all the proper sacrifices to the Gods. ;)

2. Anti_Virus

Anti_Virus Registered Member

With a little trick in your boot.ini file, you can drastically decrease the time for booting. ;)

Currently 25 seconds or so.

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Er, NOGUIBOOT?

4. Anti_Virus

Anti_Virus Registered Member

Sure! ;)
    There can be done futher changes to this file manually, but I think it is risky.

5. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

About 1 min. to show the desktop.

6. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

around 35 to 40 sec's

7. Meriadoc

Windows xp
    start-desktop 15-16 seconds :p

okay my test vm with noguiboot

8. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

BootVis 1.3.37.0

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/BootVis.shtml

BootVis is a performance trace visualization tool for use with Windows XP systems. Customer research shows a frequently requested feature that users want from their PCs is fast system startup, whether from cold boot or when resuming from standby or hibernation.

Features:

· Boot to a useable state in a total of 30 seconds
    · Resume from Hibernate (S4) in a total of 20 seconds
    · Resume from Standby (S3) in a total of 5 seconds

You can give Bootvis a try, it can boost your startup by optimizing and placing the startup programs together

This is a great program for optimizing your computer's boot speed from the startup, standby and hibernation modes. It is absoutely free and the file size is very small, making it an excellent download. It is very powerful. It can also trace all the program or system driver/core load speed and make a graph report, you might be able to trace the problem from the graph.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/BootVis.shtml

Microsoft has a few words to say about faster boot

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/default.mspx

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  9. Macstorm

It's an outdated tool:

"Bootvis.exe is a performance tracing and visualization tool that Microsoft designed to help PC system designers and software developers identify performance issues for boot/resume timing while developing new PC products or supporting software.
    Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system.
    If you are an end-user seeking to resolve issues for boot/resume performance on your PC, we recommend that you contact the vendor from whom you purchased the PC.
    The Bootvis.exe tool is no longer available from this site."

And as aside "NOTE: Microsoft has pulled this from circulation. You should take that into consideration in deciding whether or not to use it." (http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#bootvis)

10. Primrose

That is one reason I posted the link..the other is that it still works..and will help you trouble shoot problem on you PC and let you understand just where in the boot process everything is running on your PC and when..even after the splash screen if you have one these days. To that end..you can speed up the boot process. I do it all the time for people.;)

There are also other tools out there..much larger..not free..and what they claim..most do not do. This one is free and light. Good training aid.

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

No matter, still is EFFECTIVE for speeding up an XP boot-up. I use it about every 2 weeks on a regular schedule and it cuts drastically some 5-7 seconds each time for my XP Pro box.

12. Macstorm

Lucky you.

I stopped using it long time ago when noticed it wasn't improving much my start-up times. :)

13. Primrose

So in fact you see the "tool' is not out dated..but rather no longer supported by microsoft..even though it is their installers and called bootvis.msi with their name on it.
    Happens all the time..just like with Windows Defender now..it is not out dated it is just no longer supported by them for 2000

Important Notes

Windows Defender no longer supports Windows 2000 as it went out of mainstream support in June 2005. Please refer to the support lifecycle website for more information.
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/support/howto/default.mspx

Now that is what I would call outdate for those user.:D

The reason I posted bootvis is that I too use it.. I have WinXP Pro SP2
    and would be even happy to post screen shot it offers.

I come up to a Usable Windows boxen in less than 30 sec from a cold boot and less than 10 sec from standby. for your survey.

But still I do not use it much to speed up a box..but rather as a tool to analyze and it is great for that since I know what to expect as I help others with slow boot problems.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Booting in my off-line snapshot takes 65 seconds.
    Booting in my on-line snapshot takes 90-120 seconds, because it needs more time to remove the bad changes in my on-line snapshot, which is still faster than any existing decent scanner.

15. Primrose

The average user should stay away from tweaking their noogies..just the other day Big Jim and the twins ran into this kind of problem :ninja:

"Guess what happens if you use the /noguiboot option for boot.ini as suggested. If you ever have a disk problem and need to run scandisk you're screwed. Since scandisk can't fix problems within Windows you are asked to reboot and scandisk then runs behind a totally black screen. I had to find an emergency boot disk and boot Windows in safe mode to fix the problem.

Very very bad advice. Do not heed. Not in any way worth the infintisimally small speedup for booting XP.

edit: Just to be clear, when scandisk runs you can't see it's status. When it finishes you still can't see the status. In fact all you see is black, mouse and keyboard are useless. Even tried running Symantec disk doctor from my emergency boot disk to clean up disk problems, but still after that the system booted to scandisk in the dark. This is the worst advice I've ever followed. Stay away from this "TIP". The average person would be screwed by this one."

http://discuss.extremetech.com/forums/4/725402001/ShowPost.aspx#725402001

16. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

I took my stopwatch to perform this test properly ;)
    And this is from pressing the power button to WinXP Pro standing still:

main rig (Athlon 64 x2 4200+) -> 34 seconds :thumb:
    internet rig (Athlon XP 2000+) -> 67 seconds :rolleyes:
    test rig (an ooold VAIO PCG-X29 lappy, 6MB VRAM :D ) -> 90+ seconds, (I forgot to stop the watch :ouch: )

Cheers.

17. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Takes me about 40 seconds to fully boot into windows 2003 on my dell laptop.

18. Meriadoc

Hi Primrose,:) ofcourse you are exactly right here, an average user should not really use this switch for a small amount of speedup it will give you, but there are reasons for using /ng, and you are right this should not be a 'tip,' for said user, although I'm not sure if it was intending to be one.
    :) Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  19. progress

progress Guest

30-60 sec - Win 7 :)

20. Creer

Creer Registered Member

21. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Core2Duo 4 go ram HDD Velociraptor 10000/min
    Startup tweaked
    16 sec can go surfing.
    Windows7 HomeBasic x64

Rules.

22. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

From cold start to desktop in 25 seconds.

23. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

40 sec from pressing the button till desktop loads with already loaded apps in systray, another 20 secs till Windows reacts really smoothly, so 1 min total.

24. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Gotta love Asus speed boot up. :D

25. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I love my Raptors too! :cool:

Such a difficult thread to accurately answer, so many people will stop the clock at ctrl+alt+del, or as soon as they see their desktop and icons. Yet....Winders is still loading a few more services in the background...so it's quite unknown when it's fully "done" booting up. I suppose "As soon as you can launch a browser and pull up a simple webpage like Google" is a good test.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.