How often do you use CCleaner

Discussion in 'polls' started by Joxx, Nov 11, 2012.

?

How often do you use CCleaner?

1. Daily

45.8%
  2. 3/4 times per week

11.9%
  3. Weekly

10.2%
  4. Several times a month

7.6%
  5. Monthly

12.7%
  6. I use something else

9.3%
  7. What's CCleaner?

2.5%
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Well there you go. The main reason for invoking regular, compulsive cleaning is to remove temporary internet files which may harbor nasty malware. That's a lot of repetitive manual effort, lads. Oh Sandboxie, you've done again. :thumb:

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Couple times a day....a shower for my browser/s :)

3. merisi

merisi Registered Member

Using CCleaner caused me to have to reinstall my OS as I deleted a lot of registry issues a lot of which were important to my system and eventually I was unable to install important Windows security updates. I still use CCleaner to clean Sandboxie and to uninstall programs but I'd never delete anything with registry ever again. It's a powerful program.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's shame you had problems - with the check for obsolete software disabled - I've never seen CCleaner even give me a single false positive.

5. daily... with ccenhancer.

6. merisi

merisi Registered Member

In all fairness I have dabbled with Advanced System Care which is a product I wouldn't touch again and that could have caused the problems but I've got a feeling it was CCleaner as they started long after I got rid of ASC. It hasn't put me off CCleaner but I use it with much more care. As I mentioned, I'd never delete anything to do with registry ever.

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

A bit off topic here but does anybody use ccenhancer and if so does anyone know how you delete the added cleaning functions and revert back to default ccleaner settings,?

Thanks.:cool:

8. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

just delete the Winapp2.ini from program files folder and ccleaner will revert to its original settings.

9. The Red Moon

@arsenalroyal:Thanks a lot.:thumb:
    Anyway of deleting items in the default ccleaner settings.
    Example it lists firefox etc in the list but i dont use it.
    Thanks.:cool:

10. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

ccleaner will not list an app which is not installed on the PC,infact it will not list an app on another user account untill you first use it, so if it shows firefox,the PC must have remnant of firefox in the program files folder.

11. TomFace

TomFace Registered Member

I am not familiar with CCleaner-kind of sounds a bit iffy to me. I am looking at the Piriform.com and it makes it sound as the next best thing since sliced bread. Any Opinions?

12. The Red Moon

Its a very good cleaning program with a large userbase.:cool:

13. roger_m

Well it is safe to use. But as to how useful it will be to you depends.

CCleaner deletes no only junk/temporary files but also a lot of usage records from Windows and various 3rd party software. Personally I find it useful to celan temporary files every now and then, I most definately never want to clean usage records, as I find them useful to keep.

If you want to clean your usage history, CCleaner will be very useful, but if you only want to clean temporary files then not quite so useful. You can get CCleaner to clean only temporary files - but you do have to configure CCleaner to do just that.

14. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I remember looking on the Piriform forum once and one of the mods there had a signature that spoke about using CCleaner to do things that you understand and not to use it blindly and that is the only way to use it. You can't assume everything will be fine because it has access to pretty much everything. I still use CCleaner despite past problems because it is great at wiping Sandboxie and uninstalling programs.

15. TomFace

TomFace Registered Member

Maybe a silly question, desn't disk cleanup/internet options clean up do the temp files? Or is it a hit and miss deal?

16. roger_m

Yes it does, but CCleaner is faster and cand find more files to delete.

17. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I do not use CCleaner on my PC's.

However, if I were going to try to clean Malware from someone else's PC, I would use CCleaner, if possible, prior to running Malware scans. The use of CCleaner prior to Malware scanning should help to shorten the scan times.

18. roger_m

I do the same to speed up scans - just usually not with CCleaner.

19. theharlequin

theharlequin Registered Member

I ticked monthly however it's actually longer than that. Maybe once every two months when I unlock Shadow Defender to update my internet browser and install a new version of commonly used applications. After installing and tweaking is complete, I will run CCleaner and BleachBit, run Defraggler and lock Shadow Defender once more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.