How NOD32 deal with .exe file with shell which added by a cracked copy of VMProtect

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ooVoo, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ooVoo

ooVoo Registered Member

well, since I know, there are lots of people think the effect would be same while adding protection to .exe file, with a licensed VMProtect or a cracked copy.
    But recently, I got a case showing that a secure and clean executable file is danger, and the reason is this .exe file was protected by a cracked VMProtect.
    So, I wonder how NOD32 analyze such file and, do licensed VMProtect and cracked VMProtect can really get same effect?

2. ooVoo

ooVoo Registered Member

in additional, how could the software detect the VMProtect is a cracked copy? Since in my test, many antivirus soft do not report this sample.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you think the file is detected in error, submit it to the ESET Malware Lab as per the instructions here.

4. ooVoo

ooVoo Registered Member

already sent. :)

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any recent submission with a VMProtect detection. However, I was assured that those detections are not False positives if detected as a Trojan.

6. ooVoo

ooVoo Registered Member

Marcos, previously the sample is sent by zhu.....ng@version-2.com.cn, so I think you have already got it. I resent it to samples#eset.com.

Edit: email address obfuscated to secure personal data.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.