How much safer is red box instead of orange box?

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by Glitzersternchen, Apr 10, 2023.

1. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

I didn't even know you could do this. So could I have for example NormalFilePath set for my Firefox profile folder but use WriteFilePath to change/write to specific files in the same profile folder?

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  2. simbun

simbun Registered Member

I knew this would work for this example but I didn't think it would when the path is multiple levels deep, but it does.

In a data protected sandbox, Sandboxie creates the intermediate folders (in the sandbox) for you, whereas it doesn't in a non-data protected sandbox.

In other words, in a data protected sandbox I could just use:
    Code:
    OpenFilePath=E:\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3
    Sandboxie automatically generates the folders E, Folder1 and Folder 2 in the sandbox (and I can't view what's in the real folders) so I'm only browsing the real Folder3.

Whereas in a non data protected sandbox (with a rule of 'ClosedFilePath=E:\Folder1') you'd need to create the folder structure yourself, or build it using individual rules:
    Code:
    WriteFilePath=|E:\Folder1\
    WriteFilePath=|E:\Folder1\Folder2
    Which could get really messy.

I think the problem is I'm trying to build them in a way where I could switch if necessary, but it's not that easy.

Thanks for the help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.