How many virus detects NOD32?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by backfolder, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backfolder

backfolder Registered Member

Well, its a simple question (and quite topic too), but how can I know how many virus has NOD32 in its program´s database? Why so low rates in trojan detection? This last question I don´t really care so much, because I use a firewall and a safe surfin´ but I´m quite curious about that.

TIA.

backfolder.-

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

This has been discussed in other threads, as far as I am aware, Eset do not release the amount of viruses caught, their detection remains number one at www.virusbtn.com

Trojan detect is being vastly improved as more and more samples are sent to Eset.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

3. Jaska

Jaska Registered Member

it is hard to believe it has been lack of samples that has prevented Nod32 getting a decent anti-trojan capabilities. There are surely enough virus and trojans out there to build a decent protection.

It is nice to know though that Nod32 has been improved in this area too.

4. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

The only real and true answer is: NO ONE KNOWS. It's has been and still is ESET's policy not to take part in "we-detect-so-much-and-so-much-viruses" race. Due this the exact number of scanstring is not known. If even the number would be released to the public the answer would still be NO ONE KNOWS due the strong implementation of heuristic and advanced heuristic.

Best regards.

5. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Since 18th of December 2001 (that's how far back the updates listed on NOD32's web page goes), the number of malware variants that have been added are close to 26 000.

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I notice Nods "much improved trojan detection" is being consantly highlighted when,in the past,Nods poor trojan detection was mentioned by myself and others we were consantly told:-"nod is an anti-virus not an anti trojan" why has this now changed if it wasn't thought important before?

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Probably because people want trojan detection with NOD included.

As long as NOD isn't turned into a creaking slug, I see no problem detecting trojans.

8. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I think it was always wanted but only recently have eset taken notice of this, could it be they have been loosing sales to the avs with good trojan detection?
    Its a pity their website always claimed you would be safe from them without actually delivering on that claim until very recently leading to some users catching them whilst thinking they were protected!

9. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

It's probablly because recently, that is within the last 6 months or so, the actual numbers of new VIRUSES has been very small but a massive amount of worms and Trojans have been released and all the experts agree that viruses are no longer a major problem as there are only so many ways for a virus to attack a system and they all appear to have been dealt with. Very few of the viruses seen nowadays actually do much damage unlike the viruses of yesterday which were intended to damage systems but the new problems are trojans which take over the system do do their foul deeds

10. backfolder

backfolder Registered Member

This way of seeing this from every company who see in that race´s way is very poor and nonsense. More of all if "my av" (company´s name here) have a huge database but a poor heuristic or engine, so the AV only will detect a few viruses. I don´t think of change from AV System due only to the amount of virus in its db. Also firm numbers given by ESET will be under real number of virus that can be detected, due to the heuristic engine. ;]

Anyway I will like to know it, a curious though... I don´t want exact numbers, aproximately would be fine.

Thanks,

backfolder.-

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Anton has stated that NOD will never have the database of other antivirus companies. NOD does not count harmless files with SOME virus code in them.
    They can do nothing to harm your system.

Edit/LWM to add link

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.