How many times can one change A/Vs?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by funnyfun, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funnyfun

funnyfun Registered Member

How many times can one download and uninstall different A/Vs & security apps without degrading the registry on a Win 7 64? or was this just a problem with earlier versions of windows?

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yes - and barely then either.

3. funnyfun

Thank you for the reply. Would one need to use a 3rd party uninstaller or would the uninstaller that came with 7 be enough?

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Since vista to my current win 7 X 32 I have installed over a hundered Security Apps with out any issues with degrading the registry.The problem can be left over remnants the may interfair with other security apps and dead left over drivers,but even at that very seldom a problem.

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Revo uninstaller is good uninstalling, but still If you no how to dig in the registry you will still find some things left behind.

6. Montmorency

Montmorency Registered Member

After runing Auslogics (even with Revo) I will find an amazing number of leftovers.
    AVG.... left me a alarge number....
    Avira... not so bad (if you follow the rules)
    Avast... as long as you follow their rules (safe mode)... fine
    MSE... nothing to say about it (ifyou follow the rules... but what what are they?)
    Panda Cloud.... I'm using it right now, never uninstalled it... time will tell.

7. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Maybe TRJAM will chime in...:eek: :D Actually I have found that REVO Uninstaller does a bang-up job of cleaning everything up including the registry. It comes in free or paid versions...:thumb:

8. funnyfun

I think the paid version of revo will support 64, but im not sure i want to mess with the registry. If im not mistaken 7 is a virtual no need to mess with type of registry, but i could be wrong.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

A good method is to have a clean image of the OS to restore when too many installations and uninstalls have been performed. RollbackRx and similar programs also don't leave any trace behind.
    @ Mongol
    As far as I know trjam uses First Defense-ISR, therefore it is similar to restoring a clean image.

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I actually just rebuilt my PC after about a year of installing/uninstalling AV software. Revo is not a cure all. While it is easy to get the directories removed, I found a lot of drivers left behind in many cases. Basically virtualization software and AV often leave their drivers behind no matter what steps you use to uninstall them.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Many AV vendors offer a "removal tool" for their specific products. I would run that after the standard uninstaller for the best result.

You can also run a registry defragger (not to be confused with a registry cleaner) from time to time to reduce the size the registry by removing the dead space after uninstalling programs.

12. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

Uninstall Tool + Registry cleaners working great for me. Check my Sign.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    http://www.crystalidea.com/uninstall-tool
    Supported operating systems:
    Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista and Windows 7 (including 64-bit systems)

13. markusg

markusg Registered Member

make a backup without av software from clean pc and no reg cleaning etc is needed...

14. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Too often :D , 2-3 times a month maybe, usually short testing of other products.

15. stratoc

stratoc Guest

That's exactly what I do :D

16. d0t

d0t Registered Member

So far, I've tried Emsisoft, Panda Cloud, Nod32, Kaspersky and now I'm back to Webroot. I haven't got any problem with left overs and I did not clean the registry.

I would recommend cleaning your registry ONLY if you experience any problem.

17. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

One does not simply not try out other AVs.

18. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

My thoughts exactly! :rolleyes:

And stay away from Revo Uninstaller!

I bought the PRO version of Revo Uninstaller, and all the programs I installed were monitored by Revo Uninstaller.....so I THOUGHT I was safe......

One day I decide to uninstall Java Runtime Environment 6 and install the new v7 so I uninstalled it using Revo Uninstaller and guess what....

When I launched Firefox.......It appeared as if I am running it for the first time! I had to sit there for 30 mins re-installing all the add-ons, setting them up, logging into sites......

So I contacted support and they didn't even offer to help, they just issued me a refund! Wow! seems like they know their app is crap!

I don't trust these stupid uninstallers which take snapshots of your HDD / Registry anymore... I also tried Ashampoo Uninstaller before and had bad / similar results with it.

Just use the AV specific uninstaller, if you don't find it, use Auslogics Registry Cleaner to clean out the registry after uninstalling many programs

19. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Comodo Time Machine is my answer for this.Since i'm using it,for about 3 years now,always clean snapshots for new security software.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.