How many snapshots should I maintain?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by flinchlock, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, a bit OT pls. Suppose u install FDISR on XP on ur PC.
    If u install XP aagain in an empty snapshots, do u need another CD of XP or u can just use ur original XP CD.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I know, I can even boot directly in any archived snapshot, but I keep it simple for those who don't know FDISR very well yet. My frozen snapshot was already scaring enough for some users. :D

3. ErikAlbert

It sounds logical to me that you can use the same CD over and over again until you have 10 snapshots, but copy/update would be faster. :D

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I was talking of XP licence issues!
    I see ur signature back but partial only.

5. ErikAlbert

I don't care much about licences. I paid for everything and I keep everything inside home. That should be enough.
    Yes I changed my signature, because my frozen snapshot caused too many comments and I don't like to defend myself in English, too tiresome.
    Now they think, I use only three security softwares without even one AV and they will have pity with me.
    I don't exclude scanners, but I prefer to try it without any scanner first.
    I certainly don't need them for removal of malware.
    Scanners are still useful to verify downloaded objects, although it isn't really a foolproof method either.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Now they can ask where is the rolback here!

7. ErikAlbert

Not anymore. :D

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

lol
    Seems to me as these three appliances died.:D

9. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

I am guessing I can also... probably something to do with the filename of the frozen snapshot... Freeze Storage.arx. Right?

[ A simple Yes or No will be a good answer... I still have lots of brain cells left, and I can figure it out if need be. ]

Mike

10. ErikAlbert

YES.

P.S.: I couldn't answer with a simple YES, because a post requires minimum 5 characters and "YES." is smaller than 5.
    I solved this DIFFICULT problem by adding this P.S. :D.

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The last point is exactly why I do it the way I do. One primary and a small secondary plus archives. Whole point is to minimize the amount that needs to be imaged.

Also I handle the online offline stuff differently. I don't distinguish between online and offline. I go based on degree of risk.

1. During the business day, my online activity is very low risk. I just rely on a combination of KAV,SSM,Online Armor and Sandboxie. I only visit sites like Wilders.

2. After hours if I am going to do something that is shall we say is a bit riskier then I first update my FDISR snapshot, and will occasionally even update my disk images.

3. If I am gong to do something I know is high risk then I combine 1 and 2 and do it in a virtual machine.

Pete

12. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

How/what is your small secondary?

I have been experimenting with a very small nlite build that I would boot into to actually Copy/Update stuff. The nlite I built has only the very bare minimums (Volume Shadow Copy) and NO network components what so ever.

Mike

13. ErikAlbert

I think Peter means that he has a full Windows snapshot, but with a minimum of installed Applications and that is his secondary snapshot. As far as I know Peter he is not a fan of any tweaking or streamlining Windows.

14. Peter2150

Got that right.:D My main primary is about 15gig, and my secondary is only 5gig. Erik's right it is full windows with security software, so it is a safe "online" snapshot. Just no working apps.

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Very good, but i also have to ask do you regularly also Update each snapshots archives when active enough in one (or the other), to encourage that change or else are you selective with some and the others you simply prefer to remain unchanged. And how does that benefit Imaging which from what i gather also comes into play with the priorities of keeping everything at somewhat bare limits so as not to consume time when Image updating.

Now i know why mine took 4 hours and some change :) For pity's sake it holds nearly 8 snapshots and a full compliment also of archives, so looking at it in that respect, i think i got off relatively easy when creating my Full BackUp recently.

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Depends on how big your hard drive is, this program eats up Gigabytes like they are Fish and Chips :D

17. Peter2150

Hi Easter

I rarely update my secondary snapshot or it's archive. I'll let KAV update the signatures, when I boot to it, and about once a month update the archive. On my primary Archive(I have only one) I update frequently, at least once a day, if not more. I do this before any change to the system, so I can undo it.

Pete

18. Peter2150

So does Vista. Adds 8gig to a 15gig snapshot. And what do I get for that..... eye candy.

19. ErikAlbert

But I need only TWO snapshots :
    - to fix any problem, going from my own mistakes to a frozen BSOD.
    - to keep my system constantly clean, malware-free and trouble-free.
    It takes one simple reboot of 100 seconds to get all that.
    If something goes wrong, I don't even have to know what happened or how to fix it.
    So I don't have to waste my time and other people's time anymore to get rid of problems.
    How many users have that ? Not many if I read all the posts with problems at Wilders and other forums and I'm not even talking about the many Malware Forums, where users are begging for help. These Malware Forums better teach people how to protect their computer, than solving their HijackThis logs.

This is alot more worth to me, than losing a few gigabytes more on my harddisk and some people use FDISR more efficiently than others, that's true. :)

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

True. The trade-off is greatly worth any extra Gb spent for preserving archives/Snaps provided your drive affords you ample space to accommadate them. What you get in return is a tremendous confidence as well as redeems heaps of time that otherwise would be lost chasing down all the forced entries that found their way onto your system.

For many of us there is no comparison worth mentioning with that choice. FD-ISR provides you a huge return in exchange for the use of that extra space required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.