How many regularly check up on their computer with Hijack This?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Matt_Smi, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I know/understand what everything on my Hijack This log is and means; I run it daily to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary on it. How many do the same? I think Hijack This is a great tool for finding out if you computer has anything suspicious going on with it. It seems to check a bunch of the different ways malware can infect your system, so by checking it regularly you can catch something that your AV may have looked over.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I have a clean copy of HJT saved and only run it again and compare if i suspect a problem.

snowbound

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi Matt,;)

I like Snowbound, would only utilize HJT, if I suspected something was wrong, but definitely wouldn't run it on the regular basis, other than a yearly/bi-yearly checkup. I haven't ever been required to utilize HJT because of preventative measure I have in place, and personal choices I make. Even though I'm self-taught in regards to HJT, and I think I'm pretty proficient with it, I would seek out the opinion of someone officially trained in the art/skill before I actioned anything. ;)

Steve

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

HJT is one tool that if you happen to make a small mistake in reading or recognizing an entry and happen to delete that entry it can render your computer unusable. In my opinion it is not a good prevenative tool to be used constantly, But it is an excellent tool to check a system for malware if a problem is detected. And as long as I am on the subject of preventative tools, CW shredder is another tool that should not be run unless you have a problem that needs attention.

bigc

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I very seldom run an HJT except for perhaps testing purposes when assisting others....but IMHO....one of the least used features of HJT is the Add checked to ignore list feature. Once a users log is clean....then is a good time to use that feature....any new logs will show what has been added.

6. tinku

tinku Registered Member

I use hjt with the ignore option its pretty cool and once you used it a few times you get to know what looks good n bad, usefull to see what programs are putting on your puter too.

tinku

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Generally I'll just use HJT as a "last resort", if one of my other tools has turned up and supposedly cleaned out something (particularly a trojan) and I want to double-check that nothing got left behind.

Or I'll run it if I'm having mysterious problems and a-v, anti-spyware, etc., are turning up no problems. Under those circumstances, however, more often than not it turns out to be a hardware or driver problem, rather than malware.

In either case, I treat HJT as a tool of last resort.

8. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I use HJT very regularly indeed. I placed all my entries in the 'ignore' section, so everytime I scan I get the message:- "No suspicious items found!" Unless, of course, there has been a change; in which case I want to know about it. I find this use of HJT very reassuring and, in principle, no different from doing regular quick scans with AdAware/Spybot. It won't find the minor stuff like tracking cookies and problematic URLs but it is nice to have regular confirmation that no sinister changes have occured.

A clear HJT log does not mean you are necessarily 'clean', because not every problem will show, but you could say that about any scanner; and it is so quick!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.