How many on-demand anti-malware tools are you using?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Minimalist, Jun 17, 2014.

?

How many on-demand anti-malware tools are you using?

1. 1

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. 2

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. 3-5

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. 5-10

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. > 10

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. None

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
  1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

None. I've had no real time or on-demand AVs or anti-malware apps since 2007.

2. niki

niki Registered Member

MBAM and Hitman Pro

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Same over here. I haven´t scanned my PC since 2008. :p

When my PC acts a bit funny, I use tools like Process Explorer, Filemon, Regmon and GMER. :)

4. noone_particular

On mine, the registry and core system files are replaced on every reboot. If I suspect a problem, I can run an integrity check on the system files and a check on the contents of the systems folders.

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

VT Hash Check
    MBAM Free
    Hitman Pro
    Kaspersky TDSS Killer
    GMER

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

7. guest

guest Guest

I feel somewhat surprised to see quite a number of people voted "None". I didn't expect it to get this high. :eek:

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well some people trust their "impenetrable" setup. I also vote none and that goes for real-time and on-demand as well. It is just too bothersome. :cool:

9. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

- I use Windows netbook for netflix only. Debian for all financial transactions and day to day computing. I have no use for AM/AV/AS/etc...

10. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I really can't imagine browsing the Net,
    installing software,
    receiving e-mails,
    connecting USBs.... all with no security apps, none whatsoever...?

11. noone_particular

AVs and anti-malware are just one category of security apps, designed to enforce one specific security policy. That policy is default-permit, aka anything not identified as malicious is allowed. Most of us who voted zero use security apps and/or operating systems that rely on different policies. Some of the alternate security policies are:
    Default-deny, aka only what you've allowed can run.
    Containment, changes made by malicious code are contained in a sandbox or virtual environment. The host system remains unaltered.
    Reboot to restore, no matter what malware does to your system, a reboot puts it back the way it started.
    In addition to these, there's other operating systems that most of the common malware will not run on. There's Live CDs which can't be altered by malware at all. Most of these can be used individually or in combination. They're just not as well known, partly because many require more skill to set up, and partly because the AV industry can't make near the same level of profits on them.

12. guest

guest Guest

I can't speak for Okami-san, but on my part...

Internet browsing safety --> HTTP Switchboard + Chrome's sandbox
    Software installation safety --> Softpedia repo + Comodo's Secure DNS + MDL HOSTS + MVPS HOSTS + EasyList and EasyPrivacy HOSTS + Chrome's file checkup
    Email safety --> Basic HTML view mode
    USB drives safety --> SRP + Disabled AutoPlay

My approach is actually more paranoid than using an AV after I think about it. :doubt:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014
  13. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

In order... Hitman Pro, MBAM, EEK and once in a blue moon I will run a full scan with ESET

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes he's naked, he have said it several times through the years in different threads. As an experiment I would like him to download Malwarebytes and just do a quick scan with it to see if it finds anything at all, just for fun :D

15. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

OK just for the fun of it, nothing, not even tracking cookies, I have Vanilla Cookie manager for that. :shifty:
    I turn off my computer with this file, to remove possible startup items and to reset services, with this BAT.
    Nice setup, mine is pretty much similar, but no HOSTS, they tend to slow down browsing too much. My signature says it all and Yandex DNS Family. :)
    It is not really such a bug deal, if you AV never detected anything, you basically do not need it.

Attached Files:

16. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Most of that can be done with Sandboxie. I rarely install new software in my real system, that allows me to be able to get away from using scanners. I haven't used real time scanners since Dec 2010 and haven't had any on demand scanners installed in my computers since Dec 2011. Never a problem and certainly don't feel naked. If I felt naked, it would be real dumb on my part not to use scanners along SBIE.

Other than my wife, no one else uses my computers. If someone else had access to them or if I installed new software often, I would have real time and on demand scanners installed on them.
    In my personal case, even though I don't have any scanners installed in my computers, sometimes I install and run (under Shadow defender), Malwarebytes and HMP. I trust and like both scanners and to this day ever since dropping scanners, nothing malicious have been detected.:)

Bo

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hey Bo.
    That's good, it shows that the way you do things works just fine. :)

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I also trust Sandboxie with restrictions as my first line of defense, although I also run Avira in real time, as when possible I like to be alerted when malware is active. Virus Total is the only scanner that I use occasionally, MBAM and Hitman Pro are used on special circumstances, installed within Shadow Defender just for one session.

19. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

MBAM and EEK on demand. Nothing in real time.

20. guest

guest Guest

Main OS : Linux Kubuntu Apparmorized

browsing:
    "trusted safe" Site : with Linux
    "unsafe" sites: with Win7 image in Linux Virtual Box

OD scanner : Rkhunter

21. malware1

malware1 Registered Member

22. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I use following OD scanners: HitmanPro, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Avira PC Cleaner, Virustotal Uplodar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.