How many incrementals before I should create another new full backup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jaygray, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaygray

Jaygray Registered Member

Re: TI 10 Home

Is there an official recommendation of how many incrementals one should allow before starting over with a new full backup? Is it recommended to have 1 original backup and then 100 incrementals if my USB HD has room for it? Does the security of my data start to diminish at some point? Where do I draw the line?

Jason

2. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Registered Member

There's probably no correct answer (unless Menorcaman is around).
    I create 3-4 incrementals before doing a complete backup again.
    It's only one opinion, though.

3. bmubmu

bmubmu Registered Member

It is all depend on your content types, your times, and available storage. You should give continuous backup software (i.e. memeo autobackup) a try to free yourself from this type of issues. After the initial backup, it will backup only changes and new files. Meaning it always has an up-to-date backup of all your files. Memeo can even keep multiple versions of a file. So you can ask for the version of your financial data from three months back or you can restore all of the lalest files.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The TI incremental backups perform exactly the same function but the question persists regardless of application - how many incrementals do you add to a full before creating a new full.

The kicker is that one bad incremental in the chain renders all of the incrementals after it useless.

If you are going to do incrementals, I favor the approach of a full on Sunday and then incrementals on the other days of the week or something like that. I would probably stay with no more than 10-20 incrementals.

If you have the space on your backup drive, never delete the old backups just because they are old backups - if something goes wrong you may be glad you have them.

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I prefer to keep things simple -only make Full images - so for me the answer to how many is none.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Same for me.;)

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Same here. I just run full backups everyday, during off-hours so the 15 or 20 minutes required to backup 15-20GB isn't a problem. This way I'm unlikely to lose more than a day's work or less if my drive goes south. And if a backup file turns out bad, I only the prior day's backup as a resource, etc.

8. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Ditto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.