How long to back up 90 gigs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dosdoxies, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dosdoxies

dosdoxies Registered Member

I am new to TI 9. I have only one question. I made a full backup image of my main drive (OS, programs, data, etc) to my USB external 200 g drive. Total time for backup and verify was about 2 hours, 10 mins. Does this sound right? I have compression set to none and priority set to normal. I am not using the computer when backup is in progress. Thanks.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dosdoxies,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis performance depends on the combination of the following factors: hard disk drive speed, backup media speed, backup compression level selected and CPU speed. The fastest and most safe media are hard disk drives or network storage. However, you should consider that hard disk drives and other external devises connected to computer via USB are limited by the USB transfer rate, which is generally slow.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't use a USB drive so I can't comment on your numbers.

If you are being throttled by USB transfer rates you may improve your transfer times by using some degree of compression particularly if you have a relatively fast processor because there is less data to transfer via the USB link.

4. dld

dld Registered Member

I've found that backing up to a slave drive will take roughly 1 minute per gigabyte of data using normal compression. Verifying this backup takes 2/3 the time. Also I've found that backing up to a USB2 external drive takes over twice as much time as backing up to an internal drive. This using TI8.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  5. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Based on my experience, TI9 takes longer than TI8 to run a backup and uses more space for the resulting archive.

TI8 - Backup of 55GB of data took 1 hour 15 mins on High Compression, resulting archive was 38GB

TI9 - Backup of 52GB of data (deleted some MP3s) took 2 hours 10 mins on High Compression, resulting archive was 44GB

So where's the benefit of this new groovy program?

I should also mention that I selected the custom option for the backup job so it would verify... was rather disappointed that there was no confirmation message/popup that the image .

Acronis Support, I hope you are writing down the "image verification confirmation dialog/popup at end of backup job" feature request and have an explanation why a NEW VERSION takes longer and cannot compress an image as well as a previous version.

6. dosdoxies

dosdoxies Registered Member

Thanks for your input. Since I only use my 200 gig external drive for backing up my main drive (about 85 gig) and for copies of my mp3 files (about 20 gig that I just copy using windows), do I really need to use any compression at all? I thought using no compression would be faster. Thanks.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It really depends on how much compression you do achieve. You are right about already compressed files wasting time with an attempted further compression - I found that out first hand with jpg files and zipped files using another imaging product. FWIW, my feeling is that you win the most with a "normal" amount of compression since you save space with a reasonable amount of computing time. High compression wins a little more space but with a time premium. These comments are not based on TI experience!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.