How Long should Migrate OS to SSD 3.0 take to run?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by iantrader, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iantrader

iantrader Registered Member

Hi

I've run Migrate OS to SSD 3.0 on my system, a Samsung 700z with an i7 and 8Gb RAM. It has a 1Tb HD and I'm migrating to a 512Gb Crucial SSD. The used space on the HD is about 230Gb so there's plenty of space and, in fact, Migrate OS to SSD 3.0 starts up and runs fine.

It deletes the partition, modifies it and copies the first (hidden) partition fairly quickly and then starts copying the main one.

My question is, how long should this take?

The program showed a copy time of 9hrs. After it ran for a few hours it then jumped to 22hrs. It finally got to 2hrs and then jumped to 22hrs again. The time does count down and the blue progress bar does get longer but this seems an excessive amount of time for a transfer.

After 2 days I stopped the transfer and tried again but the same thing happened.

I stopped migration again and deselected a folder which contained 150Gb data hoping it would speed things up but, again, the first partition was copied quickly but the second one has a transfer time of 17hrs.

Is this normal? How long should it take?

Many thanks,
    Ian

2. iantrader

Well, 60 have had a look but no one's replied so I guess no one's using it :eek:

However, after reducing the number of files to migrate I can report that it took about half a day to do the job. A clean install would be far, far easier and far, far faster.

However, for various reasons, including not being able to reinstall some software that is time-limited, migration is the only way to go.

If anyone else is considering this, a tip - don't migrate folders that simply contain data that you can copy manually. But do copy folders that contain any type of system information.

3. guest

guest Guest

Sorry, I have never used any "migration" software in my life. - I like to have the "brand new" feeling of a fresh install. - But running SSD's for years I don't think it's "normal" to take so long as you reported ... all I know is that backup from SSD to HDD (and back) is much faster even on small and slow SSD's than what you are describing. - I understand your reasons for not having a new installation though and maybe another user does know how to make that procedure faster next time. :)

4. iantrader

I totally agree. Clean is best. But even though a migration could take a couple of days, it's probably faster than trying to reinstall all the bits and bobs. I hate it when I have to upgrade computers for that very reason! :D

Anyway, thanks for your input. I hope it all helps.

5. guest

guest Guest

Thx. And I hope your new SSD is NOW much faster as it should be and you have the same thought which I had years ago: never ever again a slow HDD for OS-drive! ;) - Once addicted to SSD speed ... there is no going back! :D

If you have that feeling now during normal usage of your system the painful migrating process will likely be forgotten tomorrow! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.