How long have you been using Linux for?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Kyle1420, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I dumped using WinXP Pro SP2 in June of 2006 for Ubuntu 6.06 via CD. These days I use Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS via USB. It was a no-brainer to make the switch for me as I have used Unix since 1980.

-- Tom

2. colinp

colinp Registered Member

A bit late to the party, but I have been a full time user of linux since Intrepid. On my Dell 1545, I use 12.04 (will get around to 14.04 at some point) and on my upstairs server, I use xubuntu 12.04. I dabbled briefly with RH 8/9 and Mandrake 9/10 but the user support was a bit hostile back then. Much better now.

However, for those rare occasions that I need windows, I have xp in VirtualBox, again for those rare occasions.

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I use XP in virtual box almost daily. I used a hack to hide start menu and taskbar and I use it exclusively as a lounchpad for Microsoft Office XP, which in my opinion is the best office suite out there.

4. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

If you only use XP in order to be able to use MS Office, then you may want to try MS Office Online, or Kingsoft Office for Linux, so that you can ditch XP.

5. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Oh I do use MS Office online for opening and formatting documents. However I do like the MS Office XP classical UI more so than ribbon. And for me it's also kind of like personal nostalgia XP and XP Office brings back old memories so I keep it :)

6. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

:thumb::)

7. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.