How Is Wilders Security Forums Protecting Us?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by DasFox, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Dasfox

There is an old saying, "If you find yourself in a hole stop digging" You are digging yourself deeper.

If you really believe Wilders is "holding" something over you, you have a simple option. Do you get my drift.

Exactly what is that you think gives you the right to know what the Admins do? What is it you do that you think gives you that right?

Pete

PS. I think based on what I know, that Wilders is probably one of the safest sites there is on the net.

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

absolutely :thumb:

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

The way you're coming off to me, sounds a bit rude.

Where I'm from, get my drift is never spoken of, unless you mean to tell someone to ~ Snipped as per TOS ~.

Remember this is an International Community so we all don't drift the same way.

If Wilders doesn't have anything to hide, then why isn't Wilders telling us?

I'll say it again, I like Wilders and I appreciate being here, this has nothing to do with anything other then simply asking a few questions...

I don't find there to be any harm at all in anyway to simply ask if there is any type of logging going on, or anything else in the way of data keeping...

THANKS

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
  4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

C'mon guys, let's not get upset with each other. Wilders is one of the best sites on the Net. THE best security site in my opinion. :)

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Let's assume right now that Wilders is logging your MAC and your IP. Of course, they're also keeping PMs and Posts on their server - they have to for those features to even exist.

Where is the issue? That the government may one day force the admins to hand over logs that associate the IP/MAC of some computer with posts about computer security? Maybe PMs in which you say "Gosh I don't like that one users posts very much" or "Can I get some malware samples?" whatever it is we deem too private to discuss publicly. I don't think that the government cares, I don't think Wilders admins will find profit in selling this information, I don't think this information could ever be used against anyone.

If you are worried about transparency, maybe you should take anything questionable offsite. Get someone's screen name if you'd like to chat privately.

Otherwise, everything discussed here is (ideally) perfectly legal and public knowledge so there is absolutely nothing to fear.

I think the worst thing Wilders is even capable of doing is archiving PMs, which I doubt they do since it would only hurt their storage space.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

And sometimes the PM is used simply out of courtesy to the rest of membership, as with a situation that needs to be settled between two individuals and no longer pertains to the topic.
    What do I care if any of it gets saved by the owner of the site?
    I don't.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

DasFox, Wilders has stated in the Terms of Service and Privacy Agreement everything that a Member should know.

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Thanks, but there's still lack of information...

1. Please note that with each page visited, your IP address is recorded. (Recorded for how long, weeks, months, years)?

The IP recording is the only information I see about some logging...

What about PM, if a user deletes all their PM are they completely deleted off the database? Also are the PM really private, or if Wilders wants, they can access them?

THANKS

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Dasfox

You should be figuring out by know, that your questions aren't going to be answered. You can drop it, or ask again 50 times, and you still won't get the answers to the questions you are asking. Period.

Pete

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Pete is correct on this. Rule number 1 in operating a website is to not disclose publicly what security measures you have in place. Revealing anything simply helps those who might want to attack the site. While you may want to know, it's simply not something we can put out in the public forum.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Das, do you understand how the technologies behind site administration and such work and what being a site admin is about? They have to store some information for both legal and technical purposes. Even the touted, "privacy friendly" VPN services and all of those have some information (about the same as Wilders has as far as IP address and such are concerned). I'm not the site admin, but I imagine posts, PMs and the like are all kept and recorded for a time for the very same tech/legal reasons.

I wish you'd also explain to us what exactly you're worried about them keeping or handing over to God knows whom. Your IP address is known to every service you use. As far as PMs go, unless you're the guy behind Stuxnet, no one is going to care if you're asking for samples of malware or talking about specific security set ups and all that. Again, what are you wanting from them? Are you expecting to find out they're really being ran by the NSA and are harvesting every word you speak? 1. The NSA doesn't run and doesn't care to run a forum like this. 2. The NSAs' systems for gathering data wouldn't be looking in here. There's nothing of value here.

Stop worrying about what a simple little forum on the net knows and records, and start worrying about all the information you give to stores, hospitals, your workplace and so on. Those places are where the NSA and other people you're apparently afraid of will be keeping tabs on you. The administration here has already told you what you needed to know, accept that or stay paranoid. I'm sorry it sounds rude, but this has gone on for days and you just keep asking the same things.

12. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I think this should be closed now, as the Moderators and Admins already answered the question. And it's a public forums about security softwares. You don't store anything important here. And as dw426 said, stop worrying what a simple little forum in the net knows and records.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I concur. I usually don't think threads should be closed unless the topic has been done to death, but there just isn't anymore that can be done to convince the OP that they are safe.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Or left open ...
    digging hole.jpg

15. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Q: How is Wilders Security Forums protecting us?

A: By providing a venue where anybody can learn about security and thus be better equipped to protect themselves.

Operate within the bounds of the T.O.S., understand the Privacy Agreement, and the rest is gravy. ;)

16. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

So there you go.....
    Wilders Security Forums is protecting Us by adhearing to the WILDERSSECURITY.COM Terms of Service Agreement themselves,
    and also by enforcing the WILDERSSECURITY.COM Terms of Service Agreement globally throught Wilders Security Forums.

Terms of Service (Forum Rules):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/tos.php

HKEY1952

17. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Sorry if I made this seem like a post for me, just me and only me, like I was asking this just on my account for my benefit only, this is for everyone...

As a tech and a geek I pretty much know what goes on, this was just a post that was suppose to be general in nature for everyone's benefit...

Cheers

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Since all sides have shared their points of view, we'll draw this thread to a close. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.