How is NORMAN when compared to the likes of KAV, McAFFE or NOD32?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tempnexus, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

In terms of detection and performance? And it's "sandbox" mode?

2. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

When I trialed Norman, it seemed to me that the heuristics (sandbox) are strong but slow and only available on-demand. The definitions seemed weak against some more common trojans. Resource usage was on the high side.

It's been a while since I tried Norman, but thats what I remember.

3. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Norman has a very good record with Virus Bulletin:
    Result summary: 25 passes / 11 fails
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?norman.xml

The sandbox technology often provides pre-emptive detection before signatures are released, similar to NOD32's AH performance ..

So bottom line, Norman Virus Control is a quite decent AV, in my opinion. ;)

4. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Norman Virus Control is good at ITW virus detection. But not so good in detecting zoo viruses.

It has a very weak unpacking engine and relatively poor trojan detection as suggested by these results; http://boardadmin.bo.funpic.de/viewtopic.php?t=46&sid=320bba14cc88f3e444cb56c729b6c76e

Therefore, overall malware detection is probably not yet on par with the likes of KAV, McAfee or NOD.

But it is rapidly improving and in my trials, the stability of the program is very good and the RTM had no negligible effect on system performance.

The on-demand scanner on my systems was, however, very slow.

Overall, if you supplement NVC with a good Antitrojan program you will have good first line of defense.

I know Technodrome is a licensed holder of NVC, so maybe he will pop in and give his valuable opinion here.

6. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

On the other hand, if it had an abysmal VB100% success record, that would not give me much confidence in the product. I've never used it myself so, barring testimony from folks like Technodrome who actually own the program, I have to go on what evidence is available. ;)

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Norman's high price relative to the prices of other AVs which are equal to or better than Norman in terms of effectiveness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.