How is KAV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by T_Durden, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

seems to be many options gone though, 2010 seemed to have much more for the technical users. they imo simplified this one which is both good and bad depending on how you look at it. just did a format on a test system and win7 is almost done then ill install kis2011 and play with it again overall i did really like the time with it though over that last few days

2. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Strange how some find it lighter than 2010, KAV/KIS has been notoriously obese for years and unfortunately the 2011 versions are just more of the same.
    Appears harmless enough on bootup, at idle, and the interface is somewhat snappy
    ...but try monitoring your CPU use while running a scan. :eek:

3. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Yep, I uninstalled NO32 and gave KAV a try. Seemed snappy, but scanning still causes the system to crawl (I don't experience any of this with NOD32) and boot time is increased a lot with KAV, while my system boots instantly with NO32.

Sorry guys, but IMO, KAV is still bloated. I also had a BSOD with KAV running at one point when I was deleting some files. I really think they need to completely rewrite KAV from the ground up for the next version.

4. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Kaspersky's "web shield" really impressed me these last days that I'm testing it again.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  5. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Yes, it has an option to remember permanently or apply for session...
    Click the blue text at the bottom of the popup to toggle it.
    fw1.PNG fw2.PNG

6. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Does the scan slow you down? Is "perform idle scan" and "concede resources" enabled?

7. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

I haven't had any KIS/KAV installed since the end of the 2011 beta period.
    I've always had Concede Resources enabled though (why it's not enabled by default I may never know).
    This is all I've ever known, I can't even imagine using a Kaspersky product without the benefit of this setting.

Idle Scan, the new option in the 2011 products?
    Where you're finally actually allowed to disable the idle rootkit scan?
    I disabled that during the beta testing as soon as that option surfaced.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help but this is far from an isolated issue.
    Like it or not, these products have been known to be heavy for as long as I can remember and I'm sorry but I fail to see how the 2011 products are any lighter.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  8. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

I've never seen a review on the paid version or even heard anyone say how well it works. I dont care for publishers reviews but more the users themselves anyway. Does pro have a firewall or no? if so I would assume it could be disabled because i have no use for one at the moment with the windows7 and router running. I'll give it a look and perhaps try it out. Thanks

9. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Although you opened a thread about KAV I would say yes give Avast pro a try. It is an excellent and very responsive suite and you can disable firewall. The virtualization is sort of unstable. Unfortunately Avast didn't go well at all at May's test against zero threads.

10. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Absolutely agree with you...Its definitely not a light AV...

See here:-
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1695213&postcount=45

It took about 500 Megs during the peak time...Definitely HUGE :ninja:

11. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I take it you were running a full scan? Of course it will take lots of memory when unpacking stuff on the fly.

That is why I customize full scan task and limit the size of archives it process to 20 megs. I am perfectly capable of scanning contents of archives myself when I plan to use them :)

In my experience 2010 and now this 2011 are light.

12. AvinashR

Absolutely No, i am running a custom scan on my 60 GB HDD :D

13. AvinashR

But i won't agree with your opinion its definitely not light during scanning process...A light AV won't take that much of memory while full scanning or custom scanning. A good example is of Norton 2010 and Avast 5....

14. T_Durden

HA! yeah i know but i got the info I needed and as you can see it evolved to an open topic about the new version between a few people so I just asked the one guy who mentioned an alternative :cool: I tried The full Of KAV for a couple days and even on a new clean PC with not much downloaded,it slowed it down a lot so I got rid of it. For the price I dont need it slowing me down that much when I still havent installed all the files from my old PC yet.

15. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

KAV 2011 CF1 (release is expected soon, currently 11.0.1.400 RC) is very stable, lightweight, and fast AV solution. I am personally using KIS 2011 CF1 RC without any problem; no slowdowns, pauses, BSODs, or any other major issue (except few small GUI bugs). 2011 CF1 performance and stability is what we were expecting in 2011 release (11.0.0.232a). However, they released a buggy (numerous bugs were acknowledged, but remained unaddressed) build as Commercial Release. This might be one cause of slowdowns, excessive memory usage, or other problems for some.

Try CF1 RC (be careful, backup important data as it is not TR/CR). You will simply love it as most of us love Windows 7: Fast, stable, secure, and beautiful.

Unfortunately, KL decided to strip custom installation from 2011 products (a bad feature request from their marketing department). We tried out best to convince KL that it should be there, but they did not listen to us/our requests. Even devs, mods, and beta testers are angry, but…. (Need more info, Ask dawgg, he can explain better as he is Kaspersky Forum Global Moderator).

16. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Certainly hope it solves the problems - we'll see. Biggest problems on my new laptop (using KIS 2011 version 11.0.0.232) are slow bootup, occasional video hang (though video problems were much worse on my desktop,) and freezes in scrolling in Firefox when first entering a large discussion thread.

17. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Where did you find KAV 11.0.1.400? All I can find is KIS 11.0.1.400.

Also is anyone here experiencing any issues with Sandboxie and KAV? I keep having system lockups requiring a hard boot with KAV 2011 11.0.0.232. Yesterday's Sandboxie upgrade to 3.4.6 didn't help. I downgraded to KAV 2010 and that is working fine, but I am hoping to be able to upgrade back to KAV 2011 without these issues someday.

My experience with KAV 2010 is positive.

a) Updates are frequent (several a day vs. 1 or 2 with either F-Secure 2010, avast! 5, or Avira 10).
    b) The behavior guard is much more configurable and you can actually understand it's function and why it blocks what it does. The other 3 AVs I've used recently make it a real mystery as to what their behavior modules do.
    c) Other than during an update, I do not notice any impact on the system.
    d) Memory use is usually lower than the others I have used. Sometimes it is about average with them, but at idle drops to about half of that.
    e) Exclusions are much better than average. You can exclude an object as you can with every AV. But what I like that sets KAV apart is that you can limit the exclusion to that specific detection. This is a nice feature and IMHO an improvement over a blanket object exclusion for any and all detections.

On the negative side (it may just be eluding me so far), but I wish I could find a way to see exactly what is being scanned by the guard in real time. I like avast! 5's presentation more in this regard and miss that. I also think the GUI of KAV 2010 could use a little work and KAV 2011 is a nice step in the right direction. A little too much useless bling in the 2010 version for my tastes (mainly the traffic light and the animated sonar). The removal of a custom install option in KAV 2011 is a big :thumbd:.

Looking forward to hearing if anyone knows how to get Sandboxie and KAV 2011 to coexist peacefully. I've posted at both the KAV and Sandboxie forums and I'll update this post if I get any useful information there.

18. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

+1, cant understand the rational for removing it... but I do not have more information I'm afraid and am not a global moderator (only Virus Related Issues forum).

The installer is same. You will be prompted upon installation if you wish to install KAV or KIS.
    Please note, it is not an official release yet, so you may have to uninstall it if another version is the official release. Also, you should not do an over-the-top upgrade, but rather, uninstall, restart, install if you have an older version.

19. 0strodamus

Thanks, I understand now. :)

20. 0strodamus

Tried KAV 2011 11.0.1.400 and have the same problem with Sandboxie 3.46 as with KAV 2011 11.0.0.232. :(

21. T_Durden

Did I say Avast is the one i'd try? if i did it was a slip. Imeant the kav 11 not avast. but since the post have cosen nbot t use either. im still looking for one and get rid of MSE althught it was given good results i just dont care for it. the update has been jumpy and the lack of options are something i like to see working in the front to learn more.

22. 0strodamus

Just thought I would post an update to my conflict with Sandboxie, in case anyone else is having this issue. I had some time today to play around with this some more and I figured out that the conflict is with the files RegHive and RegHive.LOG. If I add these 2 files to the File Anti-Virus exclusions, the problem is fixed! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.