How is KAV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by T_Durden, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

I have a firewall and a router with one as well so i have no need for the security suite. I am also running Prevx paid version so i dont think the few extra bells and whistles on the full suite are needed either. So I was wondering how just the antivirus program was from them?

2. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

How is KAV ?

Well , KAV is OK . He's doing fine and is he's a good Russian product .

If you don't need his firewall services or if you don't want him to watch out your kids , you can use his Kaspersky Antivirus services only

:D

3. T_Durden

HA! I dont have kids so thats not an issue. Just looking for a good antivirus to replace the ESET smart security that went nuts after they updated it. It runs out soon anyway and dont care to resign

4. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

That's an easy task - Norton Antivirus and Kaspersky Antivirus are your best choices (in that order) < IMO

5. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

KAV.
    Solid but heavy.
    Needs a complete rewrite if you ask me, not unlike what Symantec did with their 2009 products.
    Don't take my word for it, trial it and be sure to run a Full Scan while you're at the PC.
    You may not care for your current AV anymore, we've all been there, but if you go from it to Kaspersky you might very well be in for a serious shock resource-wise.

6. T_Durden

I have used 2 norton products in the past and had nothing but bad results. Norton 2009 and 360 both didnt stop much at all. Since its mentioned below perhaps i'll test the trial although I thought they were already updating buyers to 2011 although i may be wrong.KAV i am referring to

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  7. T_Durden

I'm aware of the size of the program but my scans with ESS were never close to what the reviewers and the folks here say theirs were. An average smart scan took close to 45 min and would sometimes run twice running at over 90 min. I have been looking at cheaper programs that are said to be as reliable but could use some suggestions with those as well.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

kaspersky does tend to be a bit heavier. the newest 2011 version is MUCH better overall though than the 2010 was. on the other side norton 2010 is also MUCH better than 2009 was, in fact at times it was just to sensitive stopping things before i even had a chance to see what it was stopping sonar 2 is prety awesome. i went to avast since i really liked the overall program and i get a killer deal on 3 year lic's. im pretty sure im going back to norton 2011 when it comes out or possibly kaspersky kis2011. depends on what happens with avast in the near future.

overall imo i agree those are my 2 fav's besides avast. and i have tested pretty much everything out there for overall resource usage etc...

9. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

It's not the size of the application, it's the unreasonable CPU usage.
    Granted I'm only on a 3Ghz Core2Duo, but to try to continue with my tasks while KAV/KIS scanned was a frustrating experience.
    The 2011 offerings are built upon the 2010 foundation so they too suffer the same issue.
    I've used KIS for some time and also beta tested the KIS 2011 product so I speak from experience.

I'm quite confident that someone or their entire posse will come to the defense of the Kaspersky name, people tend to defend their security solutions like it were their last acre of land.
    The wise move would be to trial it before taking anyone's word for it, for or against.

10. zfactor

i am not a kas user and i can HONESTLY say 2011 is much better all around than 2010 was... resources and all. i have no issues with kis2011 on a old celeron single core laptop. i see some web slowdown with you tube and streaming but otherwise it runs fine yes a bit heavier than some others but far better than older versions

11. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Kaspersky AV 2011 is an excellent AV. I suggest you download the trial version first to see if it fits your needs.

12. T_Durden

Thanks all. I'll just give it a trial I suppose. I have not tested many just because I can never fully remove the programs even with the tools or uninstallers such as revo or ccleaner etc.

13. T_Durden

When you say avast,is it the paid version or no? I have heard its not doing as well as it used to free or not.

14. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

There is always a way to remove them . Additionally , you can always use an image software/application to restore to post-installing condition of the OS

15. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

T Durden
    I have been using Avast V5 'free' and quite liked it
    I installed V5 Pro to trial it and found it to be a totally different 'animal'
    It is on my PC much lighter in use
    It also has 'virtualization' as an option and I have IE8 & FF running in a sanbox

I have no idea how the 'test houses' will carry out their testing, they might not use the virtualization option because it would not be fair on other AV's that do not have it:cautious:

As others have said - try them

16. icr

icr Registered Member

Currently installed a trial version of KAV 2011 on my VM and have to say its lighter than the version 2010 even the booting time is faster than the previous version:) This is all I can say I haven't still tested its capability against malware detection and removal

17. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Any problem while downloading stuffs from Internet? Any delay during downloading?

18. icr

icr Registered Member

No, haven't experienced any delays it is working good:thumb:

19. zfactor

actually no it BLOWS avast away as far as download speeds believe it or not...i get near 2-3 times the normal download speeds with kis2011. the only slowdown i see from it is in streaming and you tube etc.. it seems to load then pause then load the pause etc same as 2010 did. otherwise excellent

20. zfactor

avast internet security paid version

21. zfactor

agreed faster in basically all areas. there are a few things in the gui i dont like but not to bad i love the new design but they did make some things almost to hard to find like you have to dig for them kinda like ess where the front page is clean and nice and simple but once you start digging there is a lot there.

anyone know a way to set the firewall to ask or is this one just supposed to be "smart" while that is nice id like a more advanced method.

22. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

I won't suggest you to mess it with its firewall. Its already configured in such a way that you'll get maximum protection.

23. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It's designed as smart, most applications are trusted by Kaspersky's reputation and white/blacklist thingy and trusted apps get internet access by default, here's how to change this:
    Click settings -> Firewall -> settings -> Rules for applications tab -> right click the icon in the action column from the trusted folder -> chose prompt for action.

24. zfactor

ill have to reinstall it to play more with it tonight. does it have the option to ask one time and then remember your settings for there after? or if set to prompt do you have to answer every time? i prefer a firewall that will prompt me the first time and then i can decide which programs do or do not have net access

25. icr

icr Registered Member

I have already started download the internet security version.

@zfactor

configuring the firewall option was never a headache in 2010 version. I am currently downloading the internet security version:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.