How is Herdprotect doing it?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by metmichallica, Mar 28, 2015.

1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

What do you expect it to find assuming your system is malware free? Let's not forget that you also get HMPA when you buy HMP!

2. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

So is the HMP scanner. Removal means activating the trial though.

I use both, as they're not mutually exclusive.

3. 142395

142395 Guest

I prefer HMP to Zemena or HP for their behavioral-forensical scan well explained here (very thank you markloman for detailed explanation!), and I mainly use its EWS rather than normal scan.
    Just comparing scanners for what engines it uses is never fair. More engine means more signature, more heutistic and more FPs but it is just 1 facter to determine products efficiency.

About eicar, who cares it...it is useful to see how real-time anti-malware solution works, but anyway it is harmless and Malwarebytes also have been ignoring it (I don't know current state tho).

Remember, HMAP use BD and Kasp engine only complementary and not totally depends on them.

4. metmichallica

metmichallica Registered Member

The Eicar test file is used to test antivirus programs and Malwarebytes never detected it. I was using it to test Hitman Pro and they should detect it, because both Kaspersky and Bitdefender detect it. I don't see why Hitman doesn't. Hitman warned me against using real malware. So we will never know.

Zemana is already good, but when they work out all the kinks in their program that will render Hitman Pro useless so why pay?

5. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

EICAR is pretty irrelevant these days IMO, except to demonstrate what happens during a detection by a particular AV/AM solution. I feel like you're missing the point and running with it.

On actual infected machines HMP is pretty effective, which is what matters most.

6. metmichallica

I am a pretty safe safer and don't illegally download stuff as you probably figured from my username. I play games, look for freebies, and stuff like that online. Zemana is good enough for that. Plus I have Norton and Malwarebytes pro.

7. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Oh - please don't think I'm trying to convince you to use one product over another, I don't care what you use. I've purely just commented on things you've said.

8. metmichallica

I thought we were having a discussion on how you think Hitman is better than Zemana to make me pay for Hitman, but I don't think I need it.

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

:blink: No need to discuss this any further.

10. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

I wish Hitman would remove their install restriction...
    Already used up my slots, and had their support staff free up one slot and one slot only... which was used ages ago... can't be ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ forking out cash for another licence... same thing with Zemana Antimalware... ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ you crooks!

If only I got involved in backups/recoveries BEFORE investing cash in the above two apps... *spits*

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
  11. metmichallica

Just write Zemana and tell them you need to install it on your computer. I don't know about Hitman Pro, but I am sure Zemana will let you. Especially if you are a beta tester. Zemana said beta testers can use Zemana free forever,

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes, those that started beta testing before Feb 18 got a lifetime beta license.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/zemana-antimalware-2-beta.372569/page-20#post-2473432

13. metmichallica

I forgot about the restrictions on when signing up for beta testing. I did it before that date, because I thought it was a good deal. That's the one thing about following promotions I rarely ever miss one.

14. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

It amuses me how easily threads can get side tracked. :D

15. 142395

142395 Guest

So you don't know how HMP works. It is not multi-engine scanner like HP and ZAM. It's behavior-based heuristic scanner w/ additional cloud scan capability. If a file is suspicious, it sends the file to cloud scan where BD & Kasp are used. Eicar is not suspicious regardless of what Eicar website says, so it won't be scanned by BD & Kasp engine. I'll use HMP even if they removed both BD & Kasp completely as I mainly use its EWS tho it is not recommended mode. I have ZAM lifetime license, but for me currently it still seems to be developing product tho official relase are made, and as I have SecureAPlus I don't have much use for ZAM until their own Zemana engine evolve much more. In current stage, I would use HP rather than ZAM if I need multi-engine scanner. BTW, I don't have license for HMP so using free version.

Anyway nobody forces or advised you to use sth, so just use your favorite but be careful not to spread false feeling by inaccurate statement.

16. metmichallica

I think they do enough of false advertising on their own.

http://www.surfright.nl/images/hmp-welcome.jpg

It says it is a multi scanning program right there and that I got from their website. You're using a freebie and you are telling me. You must know Hitman isn't that great if you are unwilling to pay just like me. At least you don't hear me going around claiming Hitman is so great when I am using the free version.

I'll give you an example I am infected with adware.gen and Hitman isn't detecting it. Zemana did, but I ignored it because I know where it is from. Zemana used the Avira engine to detect it so if you think engines don't mean anything you are wrong.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  17. metmichallica

I tried SecureAPlus. I never heard of them before, but I quickly uninstalled. It was going to take like 8 hours to scan my drive. It was slow, if it got much slower I think it would literally stop. Even when Zemana had ten engines it didn't take that long.

18. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I noticed that too, and that was not pleasant to go through...but I did, and I have it on one of my snapshots. Seems, it is doing its job of protecting my system.

19. metmichallica

You bought it? They have a referrer program or something, but I was unwilling to sit there and wait that long.

It says it is absolutely free for one year.
    http://www.secureaplus.com/Main/secureaplus_download.php

I found that to be not true. I could have only got 90 days free.

20. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

No, I didn't buy...but, I beta tested it, and was kindly rewarded with a perpetual license. :)

21. metmichallica

That was nice of them. Those are the kind of programs I like, but I still don't know if it would be worth it for me. I am pretty safe surfer and I don't know if I could sit through all that even once. For the amount of time it takes to run one scan with SecureAPlus I could run all my security suites. Changing it to fast scan didn't seem to do anything.

22. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

23. 142395

142395 Guest

I don't care free version limitation cuz if I found infection, I'll always rollback my system. But I admit this can be problem if you want to use HMP for other's PC who don't keep regular backup. I don't say engines don't make sense, I may use HP for others' PC but I tend to put more trust on aggressive heuristic scanner like HMP-EWS, NPE, McAfee Getsusp, Kaspersky AVZ, etc. I have seen many cases where really new malware got 0 detection in Virustotal, tho VT has some limitation and often actual product engine can catch the malware. Actually those multi-engine scanner also have similar limitation.
    You scanned drive by right click? Then it does offline ClamAV scan which is veeeery slow. Online UAV scan will take just a few munites, see recent SAP thread conversation.
    I don't understand why many ppl don't read manual or forum thread before using products, but maybe I'm strange man as I always do them before testing.

24. metmichallica

I didn't do the offline scanner thing. I was running a full system scan, but it seemed slow. I use to use Kaspersky and Mcafee years ago, but I use Norton now because I get it free from my isp. It's an all-in-one so that is why I use it.

25. 142395

142395 Guest

Then that's weird, on my Win7 system initial full system scan only took 10 min or so, and after that full scan completes within a minute.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.