How is Dr WEB nowadays

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gery, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm sorry but your reasons for not testing Dr Web are hard to accept, particularly considering that you are the only company who refuses to be tested. I think ultimately Dr Web loses a lot of potential customers, you might be good but others are good too based on tests and opinions of trusted members.

2. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I appears that Dr Web isn't too concerned about the loss of business. They've refused testing for several years now and have very little if any market share on my part of the planet. This is a shame too because I've used it myself and was impressed with its performance. Even if part of the purpose for some tests is to use for marketing material, so what, marketing helps make your product known. Look at Webroot Secure Anywhere; on certain tests its appears that they don't do well but they still participate. The truth of this though is that there is no current 3rd party test that can accurately test its capability. The same is true with Dr Web. Even if Dr Web doesn't "score" as well as others 3rd party testing would help to give it credibility in parts of the world where it's unknown and unused.

But then again if the good doctor is content with its current revenue and market share then they need to do nothing different. Again I love the product and trust its ability to protect. However, it seems they have a case of corporate stubbornness that seems to have kept them from being competitive on the world AV market.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

what r u talking about. As far as the testing, for how long have I seen here where people praise the testing organization if their product ranks high. And oh do they bash them if their product ranks low.

Then there is the fact of how much some vendors pay the tester for rights. This can go on and on. I am not saying that testing does not serve a purpose, but Web figured, it didnt suit them so they moved on.
    And what loss of buisness. Web never intended to be the number 1 player in the world. The product was built to serve Mother Russia and has branched out through Europe. But profit wise, they are not suffering. If anything, things are going pretty good for them, while some vendors are hanging on by the floss in their teeth.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

They are not much interested in the Home product versions as money makers. Their Enterprise/Business versions provide most of the rubles.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  5. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I don't know if the community here would accurately reflect the majority of AV customers.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you may be right my friend.:) The ones here are, "educated.":thumb:

7. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Also, I doubt Trustport pulled out long ago because they weren't/aren't good enough anymore. It still gets lots of praise for its detection (even though it's also considered heavy and buggy). Learning about user experiences tells a lot more about the quality of a piece of software than questionable tests that can be exploited, and have already been bar AVC's real world tests, which are the only ones that matter much.

I'd rather have an AV that's a failure in every test but gets decent reviews than one made by untalented hacks building their massive "success" entirely on someone else's brainpower.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It's too bad the web scanner is reserved for the suites.

9. century

century Registered Member

Thank you trjam for some clear unbiased thinking & expressing the same. God bless you.

10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Yup, this is one major drawback of their antivirus pack :doubt:

11. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

SergM,

I have a question for you.

First off, I have to say I really like DR Web. I use Cure-it to clean PCs and also use the Live CD and the free Mac version to find scripting malware that ONLY Dr Web seems to find.

My question is why has Dr Web for Mac not tried to compete in what has to be the best testing site for Mac malware on the internet. Yes, better then AV-Comparitives that only seems to have "what feature this Mac AV program has and what features that, that Mac AV program has". I just don't find their Mac tests very informative as they are for the PC.

The site I am talking about is http://securityspread.com/detection-rate-results/

Intego, Avira, Avast, F-Secure, MacKeeper <--(shady business practices), and WebRoot have all been using the MD5s that are stated on that site to compete on bettering their AV. Where the heck is Dr Web in this fighto_O?

I really really like Dr Web and want it to succeed and be in the top 3 or top 2. Can you talk to the top guys there and talk to them to kick some butt and get there?

I have contacted Sophos through a couple different avenues and they "could careless" about how they perform. They were #1 at one time, Now they bumping into the last of the 80%ers. BitDefender is just as bad as Sophos, they just don't seem to care and are on the lowend of detection hits.

Intego was the most aggressive in wanting to WIN and they have every since they found out about this great testing site. Intego wants to be #1 and they aggressively strive to be #1, and they have been there for months.

SergM please get Dr Web to at least #2 spot! My God MacKeeper is #3 and from what I can tell are a bunch of smart kids just out of college.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  12. SergM

SergM Registered Member

Hi Blueshoes.
    Thank you for your feedback. I asked about this company executives. Here is their response.

http://forum.drweb.com/index.php?showtopic=316066#entry700721

13. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

So just like Sophos and Bitdefender, "they don't care"

14. aleeco

aleeco Registered Member

Your comment has been sent to concerned parties at Dr.Web.
    Thanks!

15. aleeco

aleeco Registered Member

If you would like to know more about Dr.Web's security products, leave a note here. I will try my best to answer it.

16. aleeco

aleeco Registered Member

I would like to emphasize on a fact that the company sees its home users as a priority and with every new edition of its home products the Security Space edition just keeps getting better.
    The protection components of Dr.Web AV just got updated to 9th version. So, if you are a current owner , don't forget to update your version.
    Currently, the company has launched many promotions, one of them being the 2-year protection for the users of Dr.Web Mobile Security!
    More information on other offers and promotions can be found here:
    http://news.drweb.com/?i=4125&c=5&lng=en&p=0

-Have a nice day!

17. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

You can anytime use coupon code R6U234N to get 30% discount on Antivirus & Security Space.

18. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

I recall once I changed Dr Web to NOD32, inmediately flagging cured files as Win32/Patched
    Of course, its a good functiomality but I prefer using that as a mitigation; the disinfection routines seems imprecise

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  19. SergM

SergM Registered Member

Issue curing utility Dr.Web CureIt! 9.0
    December 12, 2013. The company "Doctor Web" announces the release of the ninth version of curing utility Dr.Web CureIt!, Designed for anti-virus scanning and treatment of computers, including Antivirus installed another manufacturer. Changes made ​​utility faster and more efficient. In the Dr.Web CureIt! 9.0 uses the most current technologies and innovations already included in Dr.Web products for Windows, which increases the reliability of protection against the latest threats.*

In the ninth version of utilities including an updated anti-virus engine. However, Dr.Web CureIt! no longer supports the operating systems MS Windows 2000 and 2000 Server. Furthermore, it was decided to abandon the regime of enhanced protection - at the moment this option is no longer necessary.*It was also amended to allow you to launch a paid version of the utility using not only the administrator account, but accounts with limited privileges.
    Download Dr.Web CureIt!

Source

20. Macstorm

SergM,

I'd like to test Security Space and If I recall correctly you shared a link or promo for a 90-day tryout of this product? If you can help me, I can't seem to find it anywhere here..

21. SergM

SergM Registered Member

22. Macstorm

23. Macstorm

Hi SergM,

Is there a sort of "create a emergency boot CD" within Security Space v.9.0?

I can't seem to find it anywhere...

or should I instead use the free Dr.Web LiveCD?

24. SergM

SergM Registered Member

Hi Macstorm.
    The free Dr.Web LiveCD or Live USB is a bootable disk and have Emergency Repair system. It is based on the Linux operating system and makes it possible to scan the OS Windows with fresh database, update the database before the scan and fix a corrupted of viruses Windows registry.

25. Macstorm

Hi SergM,

As per your answer I assume there is no way to create an emergency boot CD from the Security Space suite which I'm using now.

So I'll be using either the LiveCD or LiveUSB for checking other computers.

Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.