how ignorant can i get, time will tell

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by Pretender, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

anyhow, ran into a problem with the alerts options for smtp mail. had an error: "5187-FileChecker 1.6-18971, Run-time error '339':, Component 'MSWINSCK.OCS' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". so i went to http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/security/fwvirus.shtml and downloaded the file which i placed into my windows/system directory. no error. i use aol for email. my question is what do i put into the "SMPT Server" box? i'm sort of lost on these different types of protocals so don't laught too hard. :oops:

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

UPDATE: I'm rather surprised you did not have that dll - i'll include it in the next installer build, for sure.

That's alright - that's the one missing item - a help area on SMTP alerts.

If you really feel you need them, here is (hopefully) some helpful information (personally, I dont even use them, but you may find it more useful than I do):

Your SMTP server is your e-mail server, i.e. when you go into Outlook/Outlook Express (for example) and you set the program up to access e-mail - that's what you should look for.

HOWEVER you mentioned you use AOL for e-mail...

I hate to tell disappointing news, but AOL has its own proprietary e-mail setup.
    The FileChecker SMTP notification option will not work with AOL e-mail (or web based e-mailers). Sorry :doubt:

-Javacool

3. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

I was sort thinking along the lines that you have now explained. Just so you know as far as the file goes......I did a search and it wasn't on my computer and that's why i had to hunt for it. I have a gateway computer and am using windows ME if that helps any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.