How hard is it to see a jpeg that is blocked by Adblock Plus

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I confess this is the first time I wanted to unblock something.

One of the bogus sounding whines of the pushy advertisers is that these programs go too far, and block even ads, and related stuff that people might actually want to see.

It sounds bogus, but trying to see something that is blocked is not as simple as I would have guessed. Instead of a simple, right click, then option that says "Unblock", I get transported to the world of "rules", and "filter sets" - I guess I should add that I have "Filter Set G" too.

Here is what I see:

Could someone tell me in plain english how one unblocks something that is being blocked. I suppose I could turn the entire adblock off, or uninstall it completely, but wouldn't it be great to make the computer do what I want it to do for a changeo_O

-HandsOff

Attached Files:

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Select "Add exception run for item..."

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

4. HandsOff

WFuser, thanks for the reply, but with all respect, when I want to see a picture on a page that has who many blocked items, especially ones with long names, this seems like a needlessly complicated task. Part of the problem is that the entire names cannot be viewed because the pop up window is to small to allow for a sufficiently long column containing the the jpg name. The window does not seem to be resizable and word wrap does not seem to be an option.

If there is no better way to see the blocked item than to go through lists of blocked items one at a time, then the critics are absolutely right. This is a scenario where things are blocked, and not easy to unblock short of completely turning it off or uninstalling it.

Lucas, while your suggestion offers some hope, the only thing that makes me say that is that the name at least suggests that ease of use is a priority. Since the rest of Wilders is silent on the issue I suppose this represents my best hope at the moment, thanks!

-HandsOff

5. WSFuser

Have you tried resizing the columns to allow you to see the filename?

Also you can click Open in New Tab to see the picture or item before deciding on unblocking it.

And two more things:

-teh author of AdBlock Plus does recommend against Filterset.G. I use EasyList/EasyElement and find them to work well.

-have you tried posting on the AdBlock Plus forums?

6. HandsOff

WFU-

I did notice that there was some sort of confict between the adblock and Filter set G group.

The problem is, who do you believe? I mean, let's face it there seems to be a lot of resistance generated against no-script, including Mozilla's apparent slow posting of its updates and blatantly stupid claims that anything other than good can come from its use. More and more, it seems like a recommendation not to install anything that gives a user more control over their browsing or privacy can be regarded as a strong endorsement. This is obviously not always true, and makes matters confusing, but best not to ignore certain trends.

Nice suggestions about opening in new tabs, and columns, but I did not manage to accomplish this short of going through the list one item at a time, at which the filter becomes actually worse than what it protects me from.

I am trying the one that you two have recommended and am hoping for the best.

I do want to add that as a whole, I am sure Filter Set G is much better than nothing (it's price!). But the relevent question is is it better (and easier) than
    EasyList/EasyElement?

Also, do you use the third prong of it's defense, the one concerning internet use monitoring? I'm more curious if it causes lots of problems than if it is a valuable protection.

-HandsOff

7. WSFuser

Yes I do use the Tracking list. I dont know what problems it causes; what would you consider a problem?

8. tlu

tlu Guest

This question is very clearly answered by the programmer of Adblock Plus on this site.

9. HandsOff

Yeah, I know, I read that. But my point is, I prefer to know the pros and cons from the standpoint of a computer user, not an extension maker, or the browser developers.

The point I was trying to make when I mentioned No-script was to provide an example of perhaps the best (my opinion) add-on for Firefox, yet it gets luke warm support from Mozilla, and I am always encountering posts where people are trying to suggest it is not good.

I also pointed out that there is a large contingent (mostly people trying to make money by annoying the hell out of people with ads, I would guess) who will tell you that blocking ads is morally wrong, and will deal a heavy blow to the internet.

Well to re-iterate if you make internet related software, generate revenues with advertising and tracking, I will read what you have to say, but just for background. I want to hear from the computer user that just wants an adblocker to function this way:

-Block what I want to block
    -Not block what I want to see
    -Easy to use

You know, there were products out 5 years ago that allowed you right click an ad on a page for addition and removal from filter lists. Why are we going backwards? Does adblock explain that, because if they did I missed it!

-HandsOff

10. WSFuser

Idk about you, but I want my ad blocker to block ads. Period. and Adblock Plus does that well with either the Filterset.G or EasyList/EasyElement.

I use EasyList/EasyElement because I can understand the reasons the ABP author does not recommend Filterset.G.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  11. HandsOff

WSFuser-

Hmmm yes, well I just think it would be nice if I could decide for myself. It's sort of like driving a car. I want it to move when I put my foot on the accelerator, but I want more control than just no acceleration or full acceleration. Someday in the future cars will not need a driver to control them, perhaps. But I know I would like to be able to take over if it gets a little ambitious.

You are right, though, it does work pretty well. There is a certain lack of finesse, but it works after a fashion. Just disable the entire thing to see one blocked item, then re-engage. Not very pretty, but that's life.

-HandsOff

12. WSFuser

13. HandsOff

Thanks W.-

It's not all that often that I want to unblock an item, and I suppose I can wait patiently. One of my concerns, though, is that content providers seem to be doing back handsprings trying to create a need for you to turn your ad blocking off. The more easily one can customize what is being blocked, possibly the easier it will be to be able to use websites. I'm sure Adblock will be ready. I'm sure you remember the days when pop-up advertising was so aggressive that they actually had pop-ups to extort you into buying their pop-up blockers! Thankfully, those days are gone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.