how hackers break into pc

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by david banner, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

According to you, sure.

And according to some other people here, your PC can get hacked even after it's turned off, it can get hacked if you just browse forums, it can get hacked if you just log on to the internet.

PUH-leeeeeeze.

2. solcroft

It won't work. We all know this is a super cross-platform rootkit driver that not only loads on Windows, but Linux, MacOS and OS/2 as well. Slaving the drive to another computer and inspecting it from there is also useless, as the driver has special anti-slave properties that allow it to start even if its native OS isn't loaded. Not only that, the rootkit is metamorphic and will evolve to defeat all future anti-RK tools from now to eternity no matter how many new updates they release.

3. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I am really happy that you explained those non-believing ignorant guys the total truth. Finally someone who made a statement that will shock all those narrow-minded people. I noticed that it can´t get detected from another linux/windows or whatever, but maybe you could tell us who is the originator of it or how many people created it.

4. SystemJunkie

But your joke sounds very logical according to several aspects of what I have experienced and this message could have come original from the fox.

5. SystemJunkie

Solcroft why did you erase that? And how do you manage to do this without leaving any traces? Usually when someone erases his text there remain a trace e.g. last edited.. you seem to be good for paradox surprises yet another prove for the existence of your multi-cross-platform-monster-beast.

6. solcroft

Indeed. In fact the author's a personal friend of mine, he's a Russian hacker who specialized in breaking into top-secret government websites during the Cold War, incidents which were classified and the public never informed about. Watch out for the newest variants too, these will send subtle, undetectable hypnotic messages to the user once they detect that he/she is smart enough to try to uncover the rootkit. These hypnosis messages also make the user think that the rootkit author is the hottest stud on the planet, and teenage girls will scream in delight whenever they see him.

Probably because I took a deep breath to calm myself, and realized the futility of trying to refute an irrationality so deep it couldn't even comprehend sarcasm.

7. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

"your PC can get hacked even after it's turned off" We were told this by our server, after an incident a month or two ago where someone took a couple of my wife's emails changed the text etc, and somehow sent them out with our email address.

The person receiving them made a complaint to our server. I tried to explain to them that our computers were turned off and an electrical device turned off won't work, and that we weren't even in town when the incidents happened.

It cost us three days of frustration with our server, phone calls, emails, etc and we finally had to send physical copies of sales and motel receipts proving that we were out of town on the days the altered emails were sent. In the end, the server had to give up and admit that a computer that's shut off can't be gotten into. We won, but it cost us time, money and a lot of frustration.

The person who altered the emails ended up being booted by his server. We had to change our email address, etc, not a small thing since my wife does graphics art and has customers, and I write and have a number of contacts who are used to my old email addy.

Personally, I think the guilty person got into the servers email somehow and sent the mail from there. We now have a completely new email address, much stronger password, and use free email for everything but business. You're never too old to learn, sometimes the hard way.

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

If you're fast enough, you can edit your posts before it shows the "Last edited .." remark.

9. SystemJunkie

Ah okay good to know..
    true words..
    Hey solcroft maybe you should start writing books, you seem to have a huge phantasy and lots of output.. write some psycho-thrills.:D :D
    ..and related to your "phantasy" concerning multi-platform-malware, I have some proven stuff for ya:

DEFCON 15 Multiplatform malware within the .NET-Framework
    ● Runs on several different processors or host
    operating systems
    ● Does not need to be modified from system to system
    ● Is able to jump from one system to another
    ● May be anything from worm to trojan to virus

DEFCON 15 Multiplatform malware within the .NET-Framework
    Notable implementations of
    multiplatform malware up until now
    ● {Win32, Linux}/Simile.D (Virus)
    – Infects both PE and ELF executables
    – Polymorphic and Metamorphic
    ● W32/Linux.Bi
    – PoC Virus
    – Infects local files

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I just walked through the original presentation, and to tell you the truth, my reaction is so what?

The "multiplatform" here requires the existence and use of a platform independent virtual venue. You can view it as either multiplatform or single platform depending upon whether you focus on the physical hardware or virtual/intermediate environment.

The leap from the virtual venue to the native box, which is where the action is, that's still a ways away. I can conceptually think of some paths to that (e.g. use the virtual venue to discover the nature of the physical host and try to execute the appropriate subversion from there), but it gets complicated in a hurry.

Blue

11. SystemJunkie

What about javascript, php and perl?
    Still dependence? Very usual and in-daily-use...

Related to me I don´t use .Net, I deactivate vbscript, I kill vb runtimes, I am not very good target for those kind of nasties. I simply erase all superfluous nonsense of microsoft.

I represent the point of view that all kind of dependent malware is weak malware, strong multi-platform malware must be written in machine language and should be hardware based, fortunately not many people are skilled and eager enough to do so.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, basically they're a platform independent venue, but to really wreak havoc, you really have to go native.

Blue

13. solcroft

Oddly enough, that's what I do in my spare time. Wannabe anime fanfic/cyberpunk fiction writer.

14. cortez

cortez Registered Member

A turned off computer cannot be turned on from a telephone line ( which is the internet connection for most people) or even from a cable internet hook up.

If you are really paranoid you could (serially) plug all your computer hardware into power surges and then plug the last power surge into a homemade 4" by 4" electrical box fitted with an outlet and a switch which turns this outlet off.

Use the switch to kill all hardware (and as a bonus save wear and tear on the flimsy switches which usually come with computers and accessories).

I use this set up and it does not affect my modem or router settings.

This solves three problems:

1.No way to hack into your computer or have access to any hardware (if you still believe that a turned off machine can be hacked) as there is no juice to any computer device.

2.(UNPLUG) the "main" (last) power cord to protect from lightning strikes to your power lines. (a real nightmare that happens even with power surge protectors) .

3. This diverts accusations of being paranoid by claiming that this set-up is for lightning protection only. :D

15. SystemJunkie

Cortez you are by far too complicated: Unplug the ADSL cable play a round and everything is fine.. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

16. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

i fully agree with "cortez's 3 Problems being solved".

Lightning-strike/Voltage-spikes is one of the most dangerous incident that can wreck havoc not only on rigs, but also the whole house/office.

17. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

however, the most common avenue of exploitation is via Internet Explorer.
    Internet Explorer 5.x, 6.x and 7 running on all versions of Windows are affected.

As plug-ins are generally used to enable access to third party file formats, many plug-in vulnerabilities apply to all compatible browsers on all operating systems. Any web browser running on any version of any operating system is potentially vulnerable.

- www.sans.org/top20/#c1

What about hacking via powerlines; The ultimate backdoor!

What about hackers on the other side of the world pulsing the ground with encoded pulsed electro magnetic waves that travel throught the earth and make their way to your ground and enter into your system!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  18. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Hilarous.

How i wish i got infected because i was attacked by a super attacker, as opposed to getting infected because i was dumb...

I won't bore you with details on how i got infected (just a few days before the close of 2007), but suffice to say it has more to do with my stupidity and those of the users i borrowed my system to, then with super hacker skillz....(or at least maybe this is what he wants me to think.....)

19. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I think it would be great If some makes a firewall or some sort of software that If we where to get hacked It would Automatical Send corruted Data To The source or They would Get A virus From Hacking.I no It sounds Far fetched though but is was just a wild thought.

20. Searching_ _ _

Points of attack.

A. Outside to Inside Target Network

1. Modem
    Hardware vulnerabilities (like Null pointer dereferencing error?)
    Firmware vulnerabilities
    Password protection not used if available
    Some modems have built in firewall, not used
    Flash memory seperate from the firmware

2. Router
    Default parameters not changed
    Impropper configuration of the router
    Hardware vulnerabilities
    Firmware vulnerabilities

3. Computer/s

Physical machine
    OS
    Browser
    External hardware devices
    Internal hardware devices

B. Outside to Outside Target Network

1. ISP

2. Local Servers or Routers near Target Network

3. Destination Servers or Routers

Please enlighten me, expound on or refute. I am just a novice.

21. fax

fax Registered Member

Brilliant write up!
    My deepest congratulations :D :D :D

Fax

22. SystemJunkie

.. and don´t forget file infectors..

23. Searching_ _ _

You guys like giving us nOObs more search terms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.