How Google is tracking you, and how to avoid it

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by MrBrian, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

As already mentioned Google is contacted via a browsers (e.g.Firefox) built-in Phishing
    and Malware protection settings enabled by default. ("phone home")

browser.safebrowsing.enabled
    browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled
    urlclassifier.keyupdatetime.https://sb-ssl.google.com/safebrowsing/newkey

Chances are in your browser search plugins you'll have Google listed.

If your still using older browser (below Firefox 23) you could have a keyword.URL preference
    that defaults to http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=

Note: This preference was removed to consolidate search preferences in Firefox 23.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

Fortunately, HTTP Switchboard can allow, e.g., googleapis for specific websites and still block them for all others if you select domain-level or site-level scopes. (This can't be done in Noscript unless you add relatively complex ABE rules.)

Now you might argue that it doesn't make any sense to use Google Chrome if you want to avoid Google tracking. But I still think it's possible by chosing the right counter-measures (besides chosing the appropriate settings discussed in other threads):

1. HTTPSB does a lot by blocking behind-the-scene requests (if configured accordingly).
    2. You can use command-line switches like
    Code:
    --host-rules="MAP *.google-analytics.com 0.0.0.0","MAP *.googleadservices.com 0.0.0.0","MAP *.doubleclick.net 0.0.0.0","MAP *.googletagservices.com 0.0.0.0"
    3. You can add specific Google services, e.g., to your hosts file.

4. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

NoScript can do it too using ABE. You can also do it with AdBlock Plus/Edge.

5. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, that's exactly what I wrote above ... o_O However, it's rather inconvenient compared to HTTPSB.

That's true. But it's not very convenient, either.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

One of its best features, for sure. I use it for only the sites that require content I'd otherwise block so the site will function properly.

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well google pretty much has a full monopoly of the internet so attempting to stop it from tracking you will be a constant game of catch me up.

8. IRONY

IRONY Registered Member

Yep, its great for those materialistic individuals. ;)

Certainly NOT great for real people :D

9. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Unless you're some freak living in the woods you do have needs too and ads should be a nice way to find things that can satisfy your needs. Problem is that in the current state they don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.