How good is Wokhan Windows Firewall Notifier?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ocsi, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

How good is Wokhan Windows Firewall Notifier? It is enough for a decent protection. I mention that I use Wireless Router Firewall.
    (Win 7 Ultimate X64)

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

My understanding is that WFN is a Windows 7 Firewall extender to allow popups to be displayed when outgoing connections are blocked by the Windows 7 Firewall. Any rules created are Windows 7 Firewall rules, maintained within the Windows 7 Firewall itself.

WFN is not even running in the background and using any resources most of the time as it only gets launched by a scheduled task whenever a blocked outgoing connection event is written to the Windows event log by the Windows 7 Firewall.

The purpose of WFN is to make it easier to use the Windows 7 Firewall as a two-way firewall. The question you are really asking therefore is whether the Windows 7 Firewall itself, in conjunction with a router, is sufficient for decent protection. I would say yes but it is something you will need to decide for yourself.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  3. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

OK.Thanks for the reply.

4. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

WFN is not running indeed until an interesting event is read from Event Log. Instead of it, is running schtasks.exe which monitorize the Event Log changes. So, a program is running to maintain the observation of Event Log.

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

6. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

i tested briefly but it asked for permission for every webpage so never got much further as it seemed like too much hassle

7. itman

itman Registered Member

I used it off and on for over a year.

At first glance, it appears to be the "missing link" to the Vista/WIN 7 firewall that will create outbound rules without going through the "pain." Its main feature is the ability to create rules for specific svchost.exe services; something no one other than the native Vista/WIN 7 firewall can do.

However, it is buggy due to the fact it was created by a single developer with limited resources. I also observed it doing a bit more than just being a front end to the Vista/WIN 7 firewall.

Got rid of it and haven't looked back since.

8. Unity

Unity Registered Member

I m using it since last year.

I've made a few bug reports to the developper and he was really quick to answer them.

Last version is working perfectly fine here.

I really like the idea and it is of course lighter than everything else.

edit : btw there is an ongoing thread here : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=307871

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.