How good is OA free?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by kungfu_strong, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichito

ichito Registered Member

2. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

4. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

How so? the other members talked about it so i saw nothing wrong with my two cents.. o_O

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Still doesn't work! I have never gotten COMODO firewall to work for me and Punkbuster. The game servers keep kicking me due to Punkbuster issues when I am running COMODO firewall.

And what do those 2 links got to with COMODO FW and Punkbuster?

COMODO FW needs a "learning mode" that actually WORKS which allows EVERYTHING during that "learning mode" and then ADDS it permanently to a white list, but COMODO FW does not do this when it comes to Punkbuster.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  6. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I thought this thread was about Online Armor?

7. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

You asked a question in an OA thread, so you'll likely get OA related answers.
    Why don't you post at the Comodo forum instead of taking this Online Armor thread off topic?

8. ichito

ichito Registered Member

:thumb:

9. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

OA Free is an awesome app but for some reason, it seems that I inevitably run up against a situation where the cpu usage by oasrv.exe becomes excessively high (50% or so) and remains that way for relatively long stretches causing system performance to degrade and my fans to go haywire.

Other than that, I love the program. However, when that attribute raises its ugly head on my XP Pro SP3 setup I have to make a switch. It usually seems to make an appearance after using the app for a couple to a few months. (Sometimes less.)

10. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

In my case, high CPU usage was symptom of enabled Web Shield, although I can't remember if it is available in free version.

11. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

It is in both but disabling it in either the premium or free versions didn't make a difference when the problem arose. Tried enabling and disabling a variety of resources. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :thumb: :cool:

12. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

In case it happens again this time: I would really appreciate it if you could drop me a mail (fw@emsisoft.com) so we can take a look at it. Thanks :).

13. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Fabian, I'll be happy to do so the next time I decide to reinstall. I have 11 months left on my license.

This is about the third time it's happened over the past couple of years (that I can remember for sure).

Why it happens and why it happens when it does is a mystery to me since it seems to crop up without any other apparent changes having been made.

14. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Always been a big fan of OA myself. All versions. I haven't used the program for awhile but decided to reinstall yesterday. Sadly to say that ended with a BSOD following reboot after installation. I initially thought it was something to do with avast so I uninstalled both programs and reinstalled OA to the same outcome. Haven't had much time to look into it but I expect that it is something simple. Just thought I'd mention it and see if anyone else has had this problem with the latest version. Will post with more details when I get them

15. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Could you please send me the minidumps created for that crash via mail? They can usually be found in C:\Windows\Minidump.

16. david banner

david banner Registered Member

recommend comodo

17. dcrowe0050

I hate it took me so long to reply but I have been swamped. I have tried to do everything that I know to do. For some reason the BSOD is not producing a memory dump. I have switched between small and kernel dumps, tried a different directory but no dump. Windows error reporting service is running correctly and the only thing I can think of is that my page file is too small. However, for some reason trying to change it to custom size doesn't work. After I set it and reboot it gains a little size but nowhere near what the recommended size is and system managed is no different so I do not know if that is the problem or not. There are two events recorded from the BSOD or right before it in event logs. The first is "Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0" and shortly after "The system could not successfully load the crash dump driver." Those are the only events related to the bsod.

Also the first reboot after installation I get the bsod before I can logon to windows. But If I restart and boot back into windows I will not get the BSOD until I open an application, and as far as I can tell any application. I'm still trying to get a memory dump if anyone has a suggestion.\
    thanks

18. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

Hmmm, how much hdd space do you still have? I think the swap size is too small...

19. dcrowe0050

yes. That is what I believe too. As stated in my earlier post though the page file allocation will not go above a certain point and I have close to 40 gb free on the system partition. no option available will change it. I now believe that the problems are hard drive related. Ran chkdsk but nothing much out of the ordinary there so I am downloading the Data LIfeguard tool from western digital to run now. I been at it too long I cant think straight now and I can not think of anything else it might be so...

20. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

In some rare cases (let us say when a bug in ring 0 code allows ring 0 memory to be corrupted) memory dump can be not generated.

21. dcrowe0050

Yeah I have heard of that I think. I ran the Data Lifeduard suite long and quick tests and both passed, ran memtest. No errors there either. The only thing that has brought back an error was dskchk which found I think it was 33 unindexed records and a few reparse. Don't know if that was what was causing problem or not, but I really doubt it. Ran driver verifier and finally found and old version of the Virtualbox host only networking driver and the bridged networking driver. Not sure how I missed them before this but they were causing the problem with OA. I got installed and running great now.

But now I am worried about not getting memory dumps. I have got to figure this out.
    \Thanks

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

As with everything, it's as good as the person who uses it, tampering and adjusting setting when you have no idea what you're doing spells disaster, so take it from there

23. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

OA is blocking my VMware player from playing virtual machines.

It shows: Error while powering on, vmware cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program...blah blah blah

Learning mode does not help.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

24. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

^Have you tried first removing all current VMWare rules from 'Programs' and 'Autoruns'. (Make sure to remove every single rule).
    Then put OA in 'Learning mode' and reboot so that OA is still in 'Learning mode' when booted up again.

25. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

No it didn't work. But after I reinstalled Vmware player, the issue is gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.