How efficient is your security setup? (comparative contest)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kees1958, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

close to 50 mb in use:)

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

A 4:1 i have no idea. I have yet to see such a difference on my PC. The 1:1 happens in MS processes too, and since XP is from 2002... For other programs i can't say i can remember how the ratio has changed over time.

No, i don't want to show that having a 4:1 ratio is common. A 1:1 is common. I meant that on my pc's screenshot, Comodo's processes weren't weirder than the rest. The 4:1 that you had in your VM, of course is weird.

I presume you talk about the 4:1 case. You know best. I haven't coded a HIPS program, so i don't know what i should expect from it.

I have the feeling they wouldn't accept you as moderator. (cause you usually have a "bashing" mood about Comodo). :D Of course you don't have to be a mod to pay attention to it. And you do pay attention to it clearly!

3. Fuzzfas

Since you say OAhlp is idling, i presume the working set is on the left (column) and the private bytes on the right?

4. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Ah, yes, I have forgotten, they only accept true believers :)

5. Fuzzfas

Do you know many products that take as moderators users that regularly and persistently bash the product? :D If you find one, let me know.

So, working set was the left column?

6. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Sure. I didn't post the whole picture because I use Russian version and the texts are in Russian, so useless for most readers :)

7. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I don't bush, I only try to correct some not correct marketing, when A is called B.

In my Vista TM left column (if translated literally) makes "Memory" and the right column makes "Allocated memory". But actually they show the same PE calls "Working Set" and "Private Bytes" respectively

8. Fuzzfas

No problem. So basically:

-OAcat.exe working: 2,6 MB private: 3,9 MB (ratio 1: 1.5)
    -OAHelp.exe Working 1MB , private 10,5 MB ( 1 : 10,5), but it doesn't count because it handles pop ups.
    -OASrv.exe working 8,3 MB, private 17,5 MB (1:2)
    -OAui.exe working 9 MB, private 15,5 MB (1 : 1,7)

Btw, in Comodo the pop ups are handled by cpf.exe (i think).

No further comment.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  9. Fuzzfas

Yes, i have noticed you have really at heart the correction of Comodo's marketing practices. Think what would happen if the Comodo users in the forum started with the same frequency and dedication to correct OA's marketing...

I see. It's also interesting that run Vista. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that Comodo and OA have high ratios. (Because on my PC a 2:1 doesn't exist in any process apart Opera).

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

which one is ligther?maybe comodo

11. Fuzzfas

I 've no idea. His values are very different than mine and he didn't mention what cpf.exe was showing in his VM.

On the other hand, i don't know the values that OA would show on XP. (he has Vista). Apparently things run differently in Vista than in XP. And his VM may have also added something into that.

I know one thing for sure. In XP, Comodo is way lighter in CPU Time.

Anyway, i 've already helped enough to make this thread yet another "trial of Comodo". I said what i had to say.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hahaha:D

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool:cool:

14. sded

sded Registered Member

It sure looks like a stretch to go beyond "comparable", especially with the dynamics of memory managment. Neither one slowed my system down significantly under Vista, but I don't use P2P. And with either total physical memory use was ~50% (of 2GB) so their portion was just not a factor. Both seem plenty light for what I do, but those with special needs may see a difference. :)

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree

16. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

We are "free" people in the "free" world. I don't mind anybody to do whatever he wishes :)

SearchIndexer (MS process) 18 - 40
    ScanningProcess (KAV) 0.6 - 57.4, but I think this is because this process is also doing nothing most of the time.

What I think about MS processes, they may adjust working set according to a total memory available. Tomorrow I'll take a closer look to VM with a limited RAM. BTW, Opera right now shows 214 - 204.5

17. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Tomorrow. That VM is located in some place where FW is configured very strictly, so I can access it only from my office :)

18. Fuzzfas

Yes. But you do realise that you have made this thread into a "Comodo trial". And it does tell something about the poster if he is obsessed with bashing 1 product, you understand. And just between you and me, doesn't the 2:1 and 10:1 of OA smell "sneaky" too? Or, maybe it's cmdagent.exe that actually handles the pop ups! Or even more, maybe you don't know how Comodo HIPS is coded to function.

As you can see in my screenshot, i don't have indexer running. It's useless service for me.

They 're sneaky in KAV too. It's ridiculously high ratio.

Ok. But i end here. You 're on you own from tomorrow.

19. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Actually, +/- 1% of CPU time or +/- 20 MB of RAM is not noticable on the modern HW. But people care anyway :)

But the very interesting is that even CPU time tells too few. For example, this is possible to create a thread with the lowest priority which takes ~100% CPU when other processes are ideling, but it will be immediately interrupted and suspended by a system when any thread with the higher priority requests CPU. So even having 100% CPU usage you hardly notice any slowdown.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i do noticed it cause my hd is small

21. Fuzzfas

Anyway, my final conclusion on Comodo:

If someone wants to "trick" you , it doesn't make sense to do it only on Vista and not on XP too. Since the installer is the same, it makes more sense, that simply the different processes behaviour has to do with running on different OSes and different memory managent in the 2 OSes. The rest is hypothesis of people who want to find something at all costs.

The 1% in CPU time here, 1% there, at the end add up. And adds up to my eye too (you know, it's nice seeing all those zeros and suddenly a disruptive element).
    And they actually do get noticed in some occasions. Try video encoding. Even the slightest CPU spike, prolongates the final completion time.

Also, especially in single cores, the more threads occupy the CPU at the same time, the less responsive it becomes. For the same reason, running 100 processes at startup is different than running 50 processes at startup, even if the CPU isn't even at 10%. This is particularly evident when you do a windows fresh installation and you have less than 30 processes running at startup. That's why the multi-cores came out with the motton "now you can multitask more, with less drag".

22. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I think OA devs are VERY sneaky, but this is what I like them for :)

Actually there may be a lot of options and I can be wrong, of course. But I don't think CmdAgent only handles popups.

They are, sure. Though, their moderators do not appear here claimig "KAV proved it is possible to make HIPS system with only 4MB of RAM usage", so there is nothing "to correct" :)

PS.
    Oh, no, do not leave me alone. In the end communication (even with a some amount of pepper) is the most valuable thing :)

23. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

This is not completely true. This depends much on a priority a thread is set to run with and on what API it uses. I can make you a POC which takes a lot of CPU but your system is the same (well, almost the same) resonsive as it usually is.

24. Fuzzfas

I am sure you can make me a POC running in idle or below normal priority, but just like other POCs, real life PC use says otherwise, because usually all programs try to have normal priority unless you do something about it yourself (one of the reasons i use Process lasso).

25. Fuzzfas

I am sure. :D I like them too.

My impression is cpf.exe has to do with the GUI. Because when you open the GUi and play with it for long, its CPU time increases. So i presume, pop ups may have something to do with it (the pop ups). But, cmdagent may have something to with the triggering of the pop ups. I don't know.

True. But, you do have a special "love" for Comodo, don't you? I mean, if someone was to say that for OA , i don't think you 'd do all this fuss. (practically the thread is now officially off-topic beyond recovery). And, honestly, the "sneaky" thing was as i saw it more of a "wishful thinking" ( another way to bash Comodo with feeble proof of their intentions). I mean, i 've never seen before a program coded with in mind to trick you , but only on Vista, while on XP it's coded to be "honest" with you...

Yeah, but i 'm tired writing about Comodo. I 've had enough. I should be watching a movie for the last 2 hours, instead of taking part in this.

Maybe 3xist will come tomorrow and you can continue this. At least he is a Comodo mod. He is more used in this. :D

Goodnight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.