How efficient is your security setup? (comparative contest)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kees1958, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

How demanding is your security setup (in Windows) when browsing the internet for one hour?

Here is the comparison contest outline:

1. Make a screen print showing all applications
    a) selecting show all users
    b) showing white space below (indicating it is a complete list)
    c) having browsed the internet for one hour (explorer has to be active for at least one hour), you can cheat I know, but hey grow up, it is not a real contest where you can win a price :p

2) Mark your security aps and total cpu time and ram usage
    (in my example attached below it is 4 secs total CPU and 48.484 KB=48MB, notice that those aps haven only read 100MB from disk and written less than 4 MB, so very little disk overhead)

3) Explain why you use it. example
    a) GeSWall Pro with all notifications off, auto kill and protection on high (= no pop-ups and browsers only allowed to write to D:\Downloads directory, plus virtualising regsitry access in HKU)
    b) MalWare Defender process + network protection (only Shutdown, low level registry and keyboard access, direct disk/phisical memory ad protect kernelobjects = absolutely quiet) 2nd line
    c) Avast standard shield to check new arrivals (althoug GW paralisses malware in the policy sandbox, I feel responsible for not spreading malware, therefore a check on new arrivals with a traditional Anti Virus, that is the only reason for not going "naked")

Cheers Kees

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I think you should do this from a fresh boot? Also, do you not want to see the peak mem usage and vm size?

I like this idea. Not sure exactly if it shows real world information or not as to how 'heavy or light' a security setup is. But I will do this tonight because I find it interesting.

Sul.

EDIT: Also, are you suggesting to include the browser in the list of marked processes?

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Here's mine...light as a feather.

Attached Files:

• mine.png
      mine.png
      File size:
      53.9 KB
      Views:
  4. 3xist

3xist Guest

How demanding is your security setup (in Windows) when browsing the internet for one hour?

Comodo Internet Security 3.8 Beta 2, Which includes everything:
    Firewall - Safe Mode.
    Defense+ - Safe Mode & Proactive Security
    Antivirus - Heuristics set to High.
    Memory Firewall - Enabled.
    ThreatCast. - Enabled

Only 2 Processes:
    cfp.exe (GUI)
    cmdagent.exe (Heart of the Suite)

Total Memory Usage: 4,072K

Cheers,
    Josh

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  5. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

and here is mine..
    at the moment just sbie,LUA,SRP..cannot possibly go any lighter..
    explorer.exe is a little high but thats from dwm(desktop windows managment-a.k.a aero engine) but its not impacting me in the least bit since i have dwm.exe using only 1 out of my Q6600's 4 cores..sbie for scripts/cookies/privacy(read only to data partitions) and the rest is for everything else..the best performance/security combo for my routine/fun activities.Might add vista firewall control in the future,but i think i'll wait for the next OA release (that network monitor of theirs has got me super addicted-not just that ofc).

Attached Files:

6. Kees1958

That is a problem with Chrome, because each tabs gets its own statistics, so when you close a tab that time is gone

7. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

As you can see in my signature the config used is:
    LUA, SRP, RealTimeDefender (red), PrevxEdge Free (blu)

imho this is the lighter and securer config;) :D

EDIT:
    changed the attachment, added CPU Time column in taskmgr.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  8. Kees1958

@ Kronos,

You should also select the column total CPU time. To get an idea of how much CPU cycles they steal.

Securer: I don't know SRP on XP can be circumvaded

9. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Since i already posted it elsewhere:

5 hours running (surfing mostly). (i am the only user).

Explorer.exe at 01:51

4.png

Unfortunately one can only compare for his own CPU, because in a quad core, what appears 1 minute on my dual core, will appear much less on his.

But i find this thread educating, so maybe users will start looking at CPU Time too and not just "RAM" nowdays, before saying which application is "lighter".

More applications eating cpu cycles in the CPU, even at low levels, the less snappy all system is. Specially in single core CPUs. That's why Intel had multithreaded CPUs in single cores in the P4 era. Even if your total CPU usage is low, having higher CPU cycles, mean that at the same time more applications will occupy CPY cycles and without process prioritizing, it will all be less snappy.

My most efficient and secure setup, though is Twister + Comodo.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  10. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

Sorry, post edited:D
    I improved my SRP filetypes according to this 3d...

I assume that using goodsense, alternative browser (FF or Opera), good hips (as RTD), an anti-something in realtime, Limited User, SRP, you should be better protected than a normal configuration as AV + FRW...:p
    Finally users experience is unquestionable (till now not a single malware passed in a lots of months of usage).

p.s.:sorry for my bad english:)

11. erreale

erreale Registered Member

My system XP Sp3

Red: My ISR program (Eaz-Fix)
    Green: Antivir
    Blue: CIS (full install)

Attached Files:

12. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

OK fellas, if you hit the Mem Usage tab in Taskmanager it will toggle from highest to lowest or lowest to highest making it easier to read.:mad:

TM.jpg

13. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

tskmgr3.gif

AppGuard and Sandboxie for isolation.

Prevx free for detection. A2 free for a deeper right click scan of archives than prevx.

RUBotted for fun. I thought it would sit idle but it has provided some alerts, (detected dns query of malicious domain).

Zero cpu, low memory, few disk reads and writes.

14. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

My computer was on for all over 90 minutes. Just that I didn't record explorer's CPU time all the time. And I have three instances of Symantec Service Framework running; had to log off of my Guest account and head to the Admin. account to capture all the processes.

Attached Files:

15. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Just a note. Memory usage says nothing without virtual memory usage. A simple trick with SetProcessWorkingSetSize API can show you in TM any memory usage you wish.

16. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

After roughly 5 hours of multitasking including a game wherein the client loads a bunch of files into memory and scanned by avast! standard shield set at default scan. Sandboxie with Drop Rights enabled handles browsers and messengers with a default download location set as Forced Folder on a separate sandbox with no internet access. Only one sandbox has disabled Drop Rights for occational software installs and has no internet access as well.

Shadow Defender set always on with some folder exclusions. Thinking of adding Process Guard or some sort of antiexecutable although it might just be overhead.

Attached Files:

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Nice Topic and informative, but..................

Can anyone tell exactly what files that guide the API which initiates the kepboard print screen?

And is this even possible at all?

Easter

18. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

good golly miss molly, that's a bunch of lightness from that one very crammed app! impressive.

Mike

19. 3xist

3xist Guest

Yes I know... Lot's of stuff in the suite while keeping minimal RAM. :) But as always, everyone is different.

Cheers,
    Josh

20. Kees1958

What about its total CPU time consumption (and disk I/O, because that is the slowest part of many systems). RAM was more an issue when XP was launched

Latest setup with Avira9, now in 1 hour browsing only 3 secs total CPU time of mu security aps, plus 2 secs disk I/O (100MB, I have avg 60MB disk I/O throughput), so maximum of 5 secs on 1 hour is 5 secs on 3600 secs is less than 0,2% of my system load

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      123.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  21. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

After browsing for an hour using only System safety monitor:

Attached Files:

22. Kees1958

Wow impressive, what's your CPU? (just for reference)?

23. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

Is that vista skin on XP ?Because i thought SSM didn't work on vista :Oo_O

24. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

It's nothing special: Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz. The I/O Read/Write bytes are not correct. I think SSM uses some protection rootkit-like components so Windows can't get performance data right.

25. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Yes it is only a Vista theme on Windows XP. I'm using it with pached uxtheme.dll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.