How Effective is Mamutu

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

If i had time i would try but as of now i don't really think i'll test/play with programs for a few months or years at least. (Unless i get fired at job LOL)

2. guest

guest Guest

Nonsense, so you block legit apps doing something legit because mamutu think that is suspicions, this is call a false positive. It's like you block all the message from an HIPS.
    BTW mamutu is not intelligent is just a piece of software using some heuristics in order to show or don't show HIPS popups.

How do you know that the program does not need to do it to work properly? even if you don't notice any difference the program could not be working properly.

You can do what ever you want but this is no the point of use Mamutu, for that Appguard is much much better.

3. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

LOL well here's hoping you don't get fired my friend :D

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

You're confused. I am not blocking anything at all that the program needs to do. I whitelist what the program DOES need to do first and then, after I'm sure that all of the suspicious behaviors have been logged, I block the rest.

The only time the programs would need to do these suspicious behaviors is if it were somehow hijacked. Normally I'd get a popup saying "Allow this behavior?" from Mamutu and I'd be inclined to allow it - now I won't get that popup so there's no chance of me making a mistake.

The issue with HIPS is that socially engineered malware/ attacks bypass them because the user allows them to. I do NOT want popups, I do NOT want my security to rely on me - I'm human and I am incredibly stupid sometimes with my computer. So by outright blocking suspicious behaviors that I know the program does not need to do I eliminate any chance of me accidentally allowing that suspicious behavior - therefor if the program is hijacked I don't get a popup, I just have that attack restricted.

Consider also that whitelisted applications are not monitored - therefor if one of them was to be hijacked Mamutu would do nothing. Manually setting them to be monitored may or may not work - there's a bug about this right now and I'm not clear on it. But manually blocking behaviors should work.

How do I know that the program doesn't need it to work properly? Because the program still works properly =p

I don't see how AppGuard does anything like this.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  5. guest

guest Guest

@@Hungry Man

I think that you are wrong in one part, YOU are the most secure "app", I don't even remember when I had my last malware problem, as far as I can tell any of my security setup has never save me from nothing, because I don't give it the chance to save me ;)

You should try it, as far as I have understood how do you like your security setup seems that AppGuard was designed for you :D
    It can get annoying at the beginning but give it a chance, learn how it works and you won't regret.

6. Hungry Man

The user should never have to worry about or even think about security - that's my philosophy at least. Security is 100% meant to be handled by the operating system and unfortuantely I have to default to 3rd party programs as well. But never will I consider myself part of my security setup, I am by and far the biggest hole in my system and I think that goes for every user.

I know my security setup has saved me when I've been doing something stupid. Right clicking and manually sandbox sure as hell saved me once - though I may not have been so bold if I didn't feel confident in my setup.

From what I can tell about AppGaurd you either allow something or you deny it. In my opinion that's about as week as a security system can get, especially for an average user.

But I could be wrong - what are some configurations that are popular?

7. guest

guest Guest

In AppGuard you don't need to answer any popup, you don't need to take any decision, It's hard to explain how it works but the more similar program is defensewall, try the trial version or read the last 2 or 3 pages of the dedicated thread here, anyway until you don't see it you will not understand very well how it works :D you have to play with it, at least this is my experience.

I'm using it and for now I'm quite impressed, maybe I will uninstall it someday, or not, but is the kind of program that I will always keep an eye on it.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

appguard is very strong i have it in my laptop;)

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I thought this thread was about Mamutu or am I missing something.

Gerard

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

sorry my mistake:)

11. 1chaoticadult

LOL J. To make up for your mistake, you have to install Mamutu and turn on paranoid mode :D

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i may try it again:)

13. Hungry Man

I'll make a new topic about AppLocker if I feel the need =p thank you for the info so far.

14. 1chaoticadult

Applocker? I thought I saw AppGuard talked about in here. Is that what you meant?

15. Hungry Man

Silly me. I have no idea what AppGuard is, just AppLocker.

EDIT: Looks nice... but it's pay-only.

16. 1chaoticadult

Huh? Why did you mention applocker in here when you were talking applocker in another thread. You lost me.

17. Hungry Man

guest brought up AppGuard earlier and I got it confused with AppLocker.

He was comparing my Mamutu setup to AppGuard, now that I know what AppGuard is I understand what he means.

18. 1chaoticadult

Oh ok. I thought some confusion was going on. I know what they both are, especially since I've used both before :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.