How effective is File Shredder in FreeCommander?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by drone, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drone

drone Registered Member

Just curious about it: I saw that FreeCommander (a two-pane free Windows Explorer replacement) has a Shred function that, on each selected file, performs every following step (and you can choose the number of iterations):

1. Overwrite with 0
    2. Overwrite with 255
    3. Overwrite with random values
    4. Multiple file renames
    5. Delete

I couldn't find if it's erasing cluster tips too; also, being in a limited user account on my work pc, I couldn't test the effectiveness of deletion trying to recover shredded files.

I'm finding very convenient the ability to perform file shredding inside my (portable) file manager of choice, so I'm asking if someone had tried it and what you thin about it.
    My major concern is that it is closed source, so I don't know how reliable is and at the moment I'm staying with Portable Eraser.

Thanks

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Eraser just works. There's not a lot of improvement you can do with erasing programs. They either make a file irretrievable or they don't. Eraser does, so I've never bothered looking for anything else. If you want to know if these things do their job, you need to use a hex editor and actually take a look at what is there (or is not).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.